Is there a trick to keeping fancy goldfish?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
One more thing, keep the multiple rocks out of your hex! Use a select, maybe one or two, no more. They are detritus traps and take away room from your goldfish.
I used one big round rock the size of a volleyball, and two smaller round rocks the size of softballs, with sand for the substrate.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Interesting stuff in this thread. I knew goldfish would be an issue in a planted tank but I like their look and personality so I want to give it a go. Are there any species of goldfish that won't nibble at the plants?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I don't know of any goldfish that won't bother plants, though probably the fancier they are the more difficult it would be for them.

Re the rocks, I use foam or egg crate underneath to help spread out the weight.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
For me, the key was to quarantine new pieces. When I first got into them, they were cheap enough that I didn't bother quarantine. The new guy would bring some bug in, survive, but kill my older guys. It was a sad lesson and a rookie fish keeping mistake. Fancy Goldie's in particular, are prone for bacterial infection, and fungus. Well from my experience. The fancier the more susceptible. I was struggling with bubble eyes until I have them their own tank, low flow, and good filtration covered in sponges for example.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

'
I have always heard/read 20g for the first goldy, and 10g for each additional one which is what I figured it at (20g+10gx5=70g). I'm sure more space is better, but that is what I based my stocking on. So as they get bigger if I think they are too crowded I may sell some, since big goldfish are easy to get rid of, or I may not. I will be doing a sump though, so it will be closer to 100g total water than 75g, and I keep large quantities of pothos, etc., in all my tanks so they usually keep nitrates quite low. I know fish keeping ideals shouldn't be based on comparison, but I figured that 6 of them in a well maintained 75g (getting regular WCs) would be far better off than most goldfish from Petsmart that end up crammed into the typical 10g.

Here is a links to some Goldfish planted tank keepers on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/aliciasgoldfish/

And here is a link to an article I based my hardscape on: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwat...ut-for-fancy-goldfish-part-2-full-article.htm
Your system sounds fine, but the footprint is a problem and not necessarily the water volume. But you should be ok for a while. But if you have male orandas you'll have a problem for space soon enough.

20 + 10 gallons is a terrible rule! Don't follow it.

I have always heard/read 20g for the first goldy, and 10g for each additional one which is what I figured it at (20g+10gx5=70g). I'm sure more space is better, but that is what I based my stocking on. So as they get bigger if I think they are too crowded I may sell some, since big goldfish are easy to get rid of, or I may not. I will be doing a sump though, so it will be closer to 100g total water than 75g, and I keep large quantities of pothos, etc., in all my tanks so they usually keep nitrates quite low. I know fish keeping ideals shouldn't be based on comparison, but I figured that 6 of them in a well maintained 75g (getting regular WCs) would be far better off than most goldfish from Petsmart that end up crammed into the typical 10g.

Here is a links to some Goldfish planted tank keepers on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/aliciasgoldfish/

And here is a link to an article I based my hardscape on: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwat...ut-for-fancy-goldfish-part-2-full-article.htm
By the way Jeff does great work but his goldfish tank is unsustainable in the long term without a lot of maintenance. Too many fish and too many rocks in my opinion.

Short term sure, long term no.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store