Is there truly a waste eater fish?

Eleven Bravo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
PPO
flagtails are good at cleaning up. they eat fish waste and left over food.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
How big is your con tank?

Merbeast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.thinking-man.net
there are lots of scavenger fish and snails, but I don't think they are going to to what you want them to do. All fish add bio-load to the aquarium, none reduce it. If you add a scavenger, you will likely have to clean the aquarium more often due to the increased bio-load.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
There are fish that eat poo but you're not likely going to find one available on the aquarium market. That said even if you did find one it would still produce waste itself that would require cleaning up and the fish would still produce ammonia that would eventually produce nitrate and require you to clean the tank anyway.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
The greedy Silver Dollars in one of my Oscar tanks suck up & spit out Oscar poo all day long. By the time they've spit it out 2 or 3 times it's in tiny enough particles that the canister filter easily sucks it up. I don't believe there's any fish that actually eat and metabolize fish waste. Even if they did they'd turn around and poop it out anyway and you've have the same problem all over again.
Edit:
Pankakes;2657228; said:
Will the Flagtail Cat be ok in my 20 gallon Convict tank?
Oops, just saw this. There's nothing you can put in a 20 g Convict tank that's going to help except a Python hose. Tank's too small and the fish are too aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store