Is this a 12-in Florida gar?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Somebody said they think it's a alligator gar so now I'm on the fence.

It was a rescue situation as it was in a 55 gallon and it's been heating minnows so now I just recently added it to my tank and this thing took a swipe at my 11-in silver arowana which has a couple of puncture wounds.

My guess is that this fish didn't know what else to do since it's swimming with other fish and hopefully over time it will get acclimated but if it's an alligator gar and it's more aggressive than I'll have to rehome

1000029908.jpg

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008

It was a rescue situation as it was in a 55 gallon and it's been heating minnows so now I just recently added it to my tank and this thing took a swipe at my 11-in silver arowana which has a couple of puncture wounds.

My guess is that this fish didn't know what else to do since it's swimming with other fish and hopefully over time it will get acclimated but if it's an alligator gar and it's more aggressive than I'll have to rehome

View attachment 1538635
Florida gar 👍🏼

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

View attachment 1538635
Nice looking Florida Gar. Keep lid tight the Gar can jump. I learned that the hard way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store