Is this a female green terror ?

Bastián oc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2019
IMG_20201018_184315.jpg
I was wondering if this green terror was a female ? It's a close to 6", it's not the tank boss so the colors might be a bit muted but I think it lacks coloring for a male. I would've liked it to be a male since they're so stunning. I got it 6 months ago and it's color hasn't improved much.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1436526
I was wondering if this green terror was a female ? It's a close to 6", it's not the tank boss so the colors might be a bit muted but I think it lacks coloring for a male. I would've liked it to be a male since they're so stunning. I got it 6 months ago and it's color hasn't improved much.
Looks like a male.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it is not the alpha of the tank, this may account for the lack of coloration.
Any male cichlid put in a tank where others are more dominant, may not show true colors, or even females without potential mates may wimp out color wise in a cichlid community tank(a community with non-cichlids except one species of cichlid is not a problem).
For any cichlid to show full potential, in a community of like tempered, similarly robust cichlids is sometimes a bad idea.
As an example, here is a female festae in a community tank of robust personality cichlids, but with no other festae.
1603118418007.png
below when I put that same female, in a tank with a male and a couple other female festae.
1603118483891.png
And I agree yours does look like a male, and putting him in a tank where he is the alpha (maybe without other domineering cichlids) may go a long way to improving his coloration, spurred on by a superior status

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store