Is This Normal? I Don't Think It Is...

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
So, we've had Note (new munted SD) for about a week now and she's settled in to her quarantine tank, but her eyes look HUGE compared to my other two. Notes eyes look to be about the same size as Two Bucks' (large male SD) but she's half his size or thereabouts, (I haven't put them side by side yet, so she may not even be half his size) another two-three weeks and I can get comparison pics.

Aside from the obvious body deformity, is there something wrong with the size of her eyes? And what could of caused her eyes to grow but not the rest of her? Any help would be appreciated, thanks mfkers! :)

Also, my phone doesn't like uploading vids, am I doing it wrong or something? The terrible pics are because my video refused to work. :)IMG_20160604_101929.jpg IMG_20160604_101615.jpg IMG_20160604_101857.jpg

I'd just fed her, so the pics are a little blury where I was trying to snap pics as she chased pellets around. :D

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You can usually tell stunted fish from eye size, as some people posit that the eyes grow normally, while the rest of the body is held back

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
You can usually tell stunted fish from eye size, as some people posit that the eyes grow normally, while the rest of the body is held back
So you think she could be stunted? :( Her eyes do look big right? I'm not trippin? Lol

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Yup. Stunted. Looks very malnourished too.
Yeah, she was in terrible shape when we got her, I think she was the less dominant one in the tank at the store and because of her deformity I think she was being out competed for food.

She's currently being fed NLS thera+a, frozen brine shrimp, and yesterday she took a blanched spinach leaf, might try her with some peas and lettuce tomorrow or Monday.

For anyone wondering, her qt tank is 150 ltrs, gets daily 50%+ (75-80ltr) pwc with prime and aquasonic conditioning salts.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at her age? My other two are around 6 years old and I'm wondering if she would be anywhere near their age? She's about 6-7cm long, by my guesstimate, but if she's stunted I'm guessing that her size may be irrelevant to her age. :)

Thanks for all the help peeps. :D

Reactions: jaws7777

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
It looks like stunting. Are her eyes larger than your older silver dollars?
I don't think so, they look to be about the same size. But its a little hard to tell atm because One Buck and Two Bucks are in a display tank in the lounge room, and Note is in a quarantine tank in my spare bedroom so I haven't gotten the chance to compare them side by side yet. Hopefully I can get her out of quarantine and into the big tank by the 17th/18th and get some side by side pics to reference from. :)

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I don't think so, they look to be about the same size. But its a little hard to tell atm because One Buck and Two Bucks are in a display tank in the lounge room, and Note is in a quarantine tank in my spare bedroom so I haven't gotten the chance to compare them side by side yet. Hopefully I can get her out of quarantine and into the big tank by the 17th/18th and get some side by side pics to reference from. :)
She could be around the same age of the other ones, but it is hard to tell.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
She could be around the same age of the other ones, but it is hard to tell.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting people to be able to tell me her hatchday, just hoping for a rough idea, if she's between 4 and 6 then that would be cool, any younger and I'm going to have to get more in 10yrs or so when One Buck and Two Bucks pass... And then I'll be repeating that for the rest of my life so I'm not left with a lone silver dollar. Fingers crossed she's the close to the age my other two are.

Also, I'm not sure how much you know about silver dollars, but would you know roughly how old a healthy SD the size of an Australian 50c piece would be? A 50c piece is around 3cms (1¼in) according to my measuring tape...
Because if I can find out that I will know almost exactly how old my other two are, I got them in August 2010 at roughly the size of a 50c piece. :)

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Yeah, I wasn't expecting people to be able to tell me her hatchday, just hoping for a rough idea, if she's between 4 and 6 then that would be cool, any younger and I'm going to have to get more in 10yrs or so when One Buck and Two Bucks pass... And then I'll be repeating that for the rest of my life so I'm not left with a lone silver dollar. Fingers crossed she's the close to the age my other two are.

Also, I'm not sure how much you know about silver dollars, but would you know roughly how old a healthy SD the size of an Australian 50c piece would be? A 50c piece is around 3cms (1¼in) according to my measuring tape...
Because if I can find out that I will know almost exactly how old my other two are, I got them in August 2010 at roughly the size of a 50c piece. :)
I would guess that they were no older a few months when you got them because silver dollars are usually around 4 inches in length by the time they are a year old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store