Is this pothos

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I’ve had a big fake plant and he demolished it he violently attacked it he tore that thing to shreds… and hes not small… he’s I think full grown idk
the beauty of pothos submerged is the fish dont mess with it much if at all. from my research the pothos plant will release an deterrent when a fish bites it. apparently they hate the taste of that deterrent. my oscar is pushing 10". he took a bite out of it. spit it out and made a fuss for about 5 minutes. never touched it after that.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Oxalate crystals, I think. I've had a few panaqolus chew on pothos rhizome and occasionally roots, but they would only do that on occasion.

Oddly enough, some of my past turtles and tortoises would eat pothos with great relish if they ever got a chance- which was almost never, as each time they were able to sample the stuff was due to accident or negligence on my part.

On a random note, when I was a young kid, I was curious as to how they'd taste, and ate a couple leaves; they're oddly reminiscent of weird, smooth spinach that's a bit tougher to chew. They didn't taste all that bad, I think.
Monstera adansonii, on the other hand, was similar to very thin, bitter, almost powdery celery/bean sprouts (?) with spinach-like leaves as well.
Probably not a good decision to sample them, in hindsight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store