Is this strong enough to hold a 75g?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Recently came into a TV console and I'm looking for a stand. It feels sturdy enough to hold a tank, but I have no knowledge of carpentry or structural integrity. How do I know if this thing will hold a 75g?

image.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The bottom corners would concern me since I can't see if the four main supports extend all the way to the floor.
It looks like an older piece though and probably stronger and better made than similar items are nowadays.

Reactions: celebrist

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
I wouldn't but that is just me
Chances are it won't collapse but it will probably bow in the front or a side and stress and break ur tank. Might not be day one but
Idk my two cents ;)
Setup somewhere that 75 gallons of water rushing onto the floor won't damage it.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
I would do a test run
Use a level
Fill to 25% shim till perfect sides top front to back side to side front vertical

Then fill and check it as it fills. Do this on concrete so u rule out floor deflection
Does it loose level? Leave it for a few hours did level hold? If it did go for it. But I would check it for first few weeks days

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Also hard to tell in pictures
But is top sitting on sides front and back and does it run from the bottom on the top to the floor

Complete support
Or is top supported by a board that isn't run the floor like in the front is it all held up by 4 2x1 boards

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It looks like three pieces of 3/4 inch plywood make contact with the floor. It's layered plywood. I don't know what kind. Here are some pics of the bottom. It looks like the drawer spaces are boxes made of plywood of the same thickness. The back just looks like a thin piece of plywood tacked on for aesthetic purposes.

My brother said he'll come by this weekend and we can beef it up some.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good idea beefing it up for piece of mind...as a growing up I used to see all kinds of chests of drawers and dressers being used as aquarium stands but like I said those things were more solidly built and damned heavy.

Reactions: arowanaman85

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Looks like it is made of a form of pressboard (that is wood chips somehow glued together). The earlier of these type of board were poor structurally when wet. I had experience replacing such flooring back in the 70's and 80's. Not sure that the newer stuff which is not designed to be used in damp conditions will be much better.

A TV stand is likely meant to be used in a dry setting, not under an aquarium. It will get wet and may, likely will, stay wet for long peroids of time.

On top of that concern, there is also the likely issue that the unit was not designed to hold 750 pounds. A 75 gallon with gravel and all can weigh that much or even a bit more.

One last thing comes to mind. the finish will likely be damaged from getting wet.

Good luck if you try it

Reactions: arowanaman85
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store