Is this velvet?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Noticed 2 of my severums seem stressed , all the stressbars showing, and 2 days ago noticed they seem to have ich but finer.

Is this velvet? Its the start of rainy season here, and the weather has become a little cooler.

I dosed the tank with 1 tablespoon salt per 5 gallon added some melafix and turned on the 2 heaters to 28 Deg.

Anything else i can do ?

thanks.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks, So this might not be velvet, Will get some test kits, Might be something wrong with my water parameters. Also its a little cold here now due to rainy season.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
batang_mcdo;3180599; said:
thanks, So this might not be velvet, Will get some test kits, Might be something wrong with my water parameters. Also its a little cold here now due to rainy season.
Being colder wouldn't help the bacteria out. Unless they specifically like colder temperatures. But it can weaken the fish's immune system making it more likely to get a disease/illness.
What makes you suspect velvet specifically? Sounds like there's definitely something wrong with your fish, but it's too early to tell. Just hold on and see how the fish are over the next few days.

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
its not raining anymore man its getting hot in here again

urgghh and i cant see the pic

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
bluehairman;3180791;3180791 said:
Being colder wouldn't help the bacteria out. Unless they specifically like colder temperatures. But it can weaken the fish's immune system making it more likely to get a disease/illness.
What makes you suspect velvet specifically? Sounds like there's definitely something wrong with your fish, but it's too early to tell. Just hold on and see how the fish are over the next few days.
I noticed they were just hanging out on a corner of the tank, and fins seem to be cloudy, and also the body has some whitish growth, looks like slime coat, currently 2 fish are affected, but I'm worried it might spread.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
btw checked water parameter, ammonia is 0, ph is 7.5
I increased salt concentration to 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
bluehairman;3182115;3182115 said:
What's the temperature of the tank? I would suggest getting a heater if water < 75F
I did not check the temperature yesterday, but when the fish got sick, I turned on my 2 300 watt heaters in the tank , temperature is currently set at 28 Deg celcius.
will get a thermometer later. my other fish doesn't seem to be affected

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Alright, maybe bump the temp up to 29-30C and start doing 25% water changes a day and replace salt as needed.
Keep us updated with detailed descriptions of symptoms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store