It's been awhile, thinking about getting back into the game.

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
I'm going into my senior year (well fourth year of college), majoring in GeoScience so I can go to the Graduate School of Freshwater Sciences here at UWM. I'm considering getting a 55g and setting up a cichlid tank when I move back to school after summer. I've kept my fair share of cichlids, but it's been 3-4 years since I had my last real tank up an running. I've kept anything from convicts, to Jaguars, to a couple of pike cichlids. My issue was I got most them before I had adequate housing for them, or attempted the "wet pet" and got bored and sold them. (These were all in a 35g tank, got them when they were juvies, one thing or another happened that I couldn't/didn't want to buy a bigger tank). So I sort of want a "community" with multiple cichlids, a clean up crew, and maybe some dithers.

What I'm thinking for the cichlids:
Cubans, Firemouths, convicts, JD, salvini...

And for the cleaning crew:
Raphael Cat, BN pleco

Dithers (maybe):
Tiger Barb like fish?

Obviously I know not all of these couldn't fit, I'm pretty much just giving you what I'm interested in and seeing what you would do or recommend I do.

Thanks,
Mike

PS- I know going up to a 75 would be better, but I don't want to spend too much money and most of the houses by my school (UW-Milwaukee) are old houses with floors that I don't trust with too much weight. So I'm hoping I can find something I like for a 55g.

TL;DR - What would you recommend for a 55g cichlid 'community' tank?

macframalama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
vancouver island
tiger barbs or bala sharks...small ones
raph cats are great clean up

been a while since i have seen some nice firemouths

macframalama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
vancouver island
i doubt it , there called armored catfish for a reason....
and bala sharks are pretty zippy and if they get eaten .... its a bala

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
i doubt it , there called armored catfish for a reason....
and bala sharks are pretty zippy and if they get eaten .... its a bala
Bala sharks get far too large for a 55, since they get to be 13" full grown and need to be in groups...

Cubans get too big for a 55 too

I'd do..

1 pair Nicaraguense OR 1 pair Salvini OR 1 pair firemouth
12 columbian tetra
1 spotted raphael

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

macframalama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
vancouver island
i assumed at some point reality would set in that a 90 isnt really any bigger of a foot print than a 55 ... and i assumed that the bala`s were simply dithers untill the others got larger

macframalama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
vancouver island
55 gallons is such a stupid shape 12 inches wide is useles,

they need to reconfigure what `standard`sized aquariums are even a 24 inch bottom is dumb

my tank is a stupid shape too im not poo pooing on your set up, mine is 4`long 3`tall and 30 inches wide.....

why you need 3 feet of height is unknown to me i wish mine were 4 x 3 wide x 30 inches tall.... but i dont run the world

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
for a community to be possible in a 55,it would be better to stick to smaller growing cichlids:convicts,sajicas,etc.also if you get a group,they will most likely pair off.i would try to get all M or F if you go with community.i would personally try {bellycrawlerjaws} idea:pair of nics,sals,or firemouth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store