Jack colors

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
I have had my female JD for just under a year now. She is 6.5" her growth spurt has passed but she is still slowly growing. I have kept Jacks in the past and they have always been black with metallic blue and purple scales. The one that I have currently has some of the blue but she is mostly an olive green color and purple.

The only time she gets really dark and turns any shade of black is when she gets stressed out. Mostly when I get the gravel washer out. I can do water changes and move my hand around in her tank and it never bothers her, but whenever the gravel washer comes out she turns really dark and runs off and hides in one of her caves. She has a great personality and is by far my favorite fish I have ever kept.

Anyways I was wondering if this color pattern is common, I had never seen it until I got her. I posted pics down below.

iloveyouDIE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Philadelphia
She's beautiful! I don't have any input other than that :D I am planning a tank for the summer and will be getting myself a jack.

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
iloveyouDIE;4153544; said:
She's beautiful! I don't have any input other than that :D I am planning a tank for the summer and will be getting myself a jack.
Thanks. She is a totally awesome fish!

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt;4153663; said:
she looks fine. Where did you get her from?
I didn't think that there was anything wrong with her, it's just that before I had her I had never seen a Jack with such light coloring.

I got her at a LFS store here in Spokane.

V1xIII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
MO
I think she's just really really relaxed. Very pretty JD, love the red coloring on the head. My male is just the opposite, jet black at all times, but then again he lives will a full grown male GT.

Amphilophus88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Holland
Maybe it's also because you have light gravel, when i switched from light to dark gravel the colours of all my fish turned a lot darker, especially the jack dempseys.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
i think its also a genetics thing because i have my dempsey on light sand and she is completely black with tons of spangling all over her body and the only time she has been light colored was like the first week she was in the tank and was stressed out and still acclimating, since then she has always been the darker colors

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
Sarah88;4155196; said:
i think its also a genetics thing because i have my dempsey on light sand and she is completely black with tons of spangling all over her body and the only time she has been light colored was like the first week she was in the tank and was stressed out and still acclimating, since then she has always been the darker colors
That's, funny because mine only gets dark when she's stressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store