Jack Dempsey in Community Tank

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Does anyone have any experience with Jack Dempsey's in community tanks? What about planted tanks? What are good, predominantly non-cichlid tankmates for a Jack Dempsey? Any thoughts?

blksubykid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Los Angeles
It depends on your definition of "community". I've seem them in tanks with other CA/SA cichlids. Ive also seen them with large bodied schooling fish as ditchers, plecos, bichirs, and loaches. But there's always the possibility you get the JD that doesn't allow tankmates to live.

drlower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
pittsburgh
probably ok with larger community, i have one with a few other s. amer. and a channel cat and 2 bass. but need to be prepared to possibly move as size and even temperment will change. i would not allow him to be the first one in as a territorial dominance can occur. as for plants, any larger fish are tough on plants, and many cichlids like to dig.

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, that is about what I expected; but just would like to hear everyone's experiences/opinions on the matter; I know several people keep Firemouths as the centerpiece of more peaceful community tanks and was wondering if anyone has done the same with JD's? What about EBJD's? Are they really as different in temprament as some people suggest?

This setup is kind of interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G39KyS1OvxY

blksubykid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Los Angeles
AquaApprentice;4817397; said:
Yeah, that is about what I expected; but just would like to hear everyone's experiences/opinions on the matter; I know several people keep Firemouths as the centerpiece of more peaceful community tanks and was wondering if anyone has done the same with JD's? What about EBJD's? Are they really as different in temprament as some people suggest?

This setup is kind of interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G39KyS1OvxY
EBJD tend to be smaller and less "aggressive" towards other fish, but Ive heard different stories too. But every fish has its own personality. However, the EBJD does grow pretty slow and can be prone to disease and early death. If you would like to try out an EBJD try to find one 3+" and try not to have any other aggressive fishes in the tank to stress him out. Once it puts on some size, they become stunners with age and would make a great centerpiece fish.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have two males in a large CA comm tank. No problem whatsoever, but they are the smallest beasts, anyway....

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
To answer your question in a very general sense, yes you can keep them in a planted community tank. The question then becomes what constitutes a planted community tank in this context. To answer that question, tank size along with the temperament of the JD in question needs to be determined. If we’re talking about a 55 as bare min then one JD, some Mollies as dither in keeping with the CA theme and for plants floating water sprite and some Java fern tied to rocks or driftwood. Then you have a low tech planted community for your JD in a 55. Start going bigger you can do more. If you get more specific you’ll get more information regarding the exact situation you’re talking about. Hope that helps.

BooshWacka

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Ohio
have a female in 125g she does ok with other fish she definately lets them know whose boss and claims 1/3 of the tank has hers she is also the biggest prolly why

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
If she is already territorial it will be hard to put her in a community with other cichlids. She might get overly aggressive with other fish. It's pretty much impossible to try and tame a fish that has become aggressive.

With a 125 gallon you could do alot of different things for a community tank. I would suggest going with maybe a schooling fish that is too large for her to eat, and some cat fish that grow between 4 & 5" like pictus for example.

As far as plants go I agree with Aquanero. Java ferns and other lower light plants that can be anchored down to driftwood are your best bet. My JD will eat and uproot anything that she can, leaves alone anything she can't uproot. My ebjd on the other hand I placed him into a planted tank when he was still a fry and he never bothers my plants as long as put enough vegetable and plant matter in his diet.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I think this will come strictly down to his temperment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store