Jag acting funny

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
I've had this jag for a couple months now. He started at barely an inch and now I'd say he's (or she) is at atleast 2.5.

For the history I started off with a 40g growout divided with a jewel and salvini. After about two weeks of them barely eating and constantly hiding I began to suspect something was up with the tank. Turns out the heater wasn't working properly they were sitting at about 70F. The light came on and it seemed to be working but it wasn't emitting any heat.

I had no choice but the put them in the 125 worried that my green terror would end them but all of them actually flourished and grew significantly.

I since moved the jag out to his Teenage home until he gets too big (75g). Along with some bala sharks I have been growing out.

Ever since the beginning the jag occasionally hovered at the surface in one of the corners which terrified me. I couldn't find anything wrong in the 125 as all my other dudes are just fine. Now in the 75g the jag is at it again occasionally hovering and 'yawning' (see video).

Any ideas?

***I'm going to trade my bala sharks at the LFS once they get sizable. Unless I can convince the wife to let me do a 300g plywood for a giant gourami and bala sharks before they get to big.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Parachromis managuense need places to hide to feel comfortable, caves, wood pieces, plants etc. The situation you have it in, would be very stressful for a young manguense, when young, they are prey for larger fish, so that (albeit bare corner) is probably the most secure place it has.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
My jag is full grown and still acts weird daily lol. But yeah, the tank looks like a lot of space for such a little guy. I'd give him more plants and objects to fill the space a bit more. If he yawns a lot that would seem like something is off though. Just keep an eye on him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store