Jaguar and jack dempsy

cichlid_obsessed92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
lowell, massachusetts
i really like the males though, could it still be a possibilty?
Not with the jd , males are a different fish in additude, I've had a few females never bother other fish and just mind their own, but every male I've ever had was a fighter by 6-8" and too much for another cichlid in a 75.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Not with the jd , males are a different fish in additude, I've had a few females never bother other fish and just mind their own, but every male I've ever had was a fighter by 6-8" and too much for another cichlid in a 75.

My male Jd is about 8" and he and the female jag are constantly flaring at each other. She outsized him by a bit, but he always ends up conceding and hiding. No real fighting....

But it in 4 x the space you're considering. My female would probably kill the Jd in a 4'. There would be nowhere to really retreat. I would think a male jag would only be harder to pull off.
With a 6' tank your chances get alot better.

Personally I wouldn't keep a male jaguar in a 75. At least a 125 IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ryan_W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2011
Stamford, UK
My 7" male JD and 8" female Jag always flare up at each other, but it never amounts to anything. This only occurs in the middle of the tank. She has her end and he has his. If they venture too far across, then the chasing begins lol... This is in a 7ft tank BTW.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
IMO a 75 gallon is not an ideal size for a Jag, female or male because of both size and behavior. If you want to keep them with tankmates, a larger aquarium is even more important. Some members tend to think that female Jags will stay small but they can grow larger than 8 or 10 inches. With limited tank space or options, it's always much better to stock with cichlids of the appropriate size and numbers. Trying to make larger, aggressive species work in smaller confines without the sincere intent of upgrading is a poor way to keep cichlids IMO.

cichlid_obsessed92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
lowell, massachusetts
IMO a 75 gallon is not an ideal size for a Jag, female or male because of both size and behavior. If you want to keep them with tankmates, a larger aquarium is even more important. Some members tend to think that female Jags will stay small but they can grow larger than 8 or 10 inches. With limited tank space or options, it's always much better to stock with cichlids of the appropriate size and numbers. Trying to make larger, aggressive species work in smaller confines without the sincere intent of upgrading is a poor way to keep cichlids IMO.
Nobody said it was ideal, for a female a 75 would be the minimum size with one tankmate IF she allows it. It's all about the fishes personality. And as Long as a fish stays 12" or under a 75 is large enough imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store