Jaguar and jack dempsy

s1c

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2012
Cichlids, America
it will work. I had a jack dempsey 9" texas 11" and a nice jag who was the baby of the tank 7.5". It will work, 75 is eeh 85 would be better but you can still give it an try, worst that would hanppen is that it wont grow out full size. Go for it i say. but then again some people really have problems when somebody puts a fish in a smaller tank. 75 is good.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
IMO a 75 gallon is not an ideal size for a Jag, female or male because of both size and behavior. If you want to keep them with tankmates, a larger aquarium is even more important. Some members tend to think that female Jags will stay small but they can grow larger than 8 or 10 inches. With limited tank space or options, it's always much better to stock with cichlids of the appropriate size and numbers. Trying to make larger, aggressive species work in smaller confines without the sincere intent of upgrading is a poor way to keep cichlids IMO.
Exactly. My female is every bit of 12" and she would not tolerate any tank mates in a 4' tank.

Might want to consider a Freddy or Loisellei as an option. They stay smaller and are less aggressive. My male Jd and my female Freddy are actually trying to spawn in the 300 as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Nobody said it was ideal, for a female a 75 would be the minimum size with one tankmate IF she allows it. It's all about the fishes personality. And as Long as a fish stays 12" or under a 75 is large enough imo.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
We obviously have completely opposite views of keeping cichlids. My comment was intended for the OP. I base my view on experience with keeping Jags as well as other large cichlids. I stand by my opinion just as you stand by yours.

Exactly. My female is every bit of 12" and she would not tolerate any tank mates in a 4' tank.

Might want to consider a Freddy or Loisellei as an option. They stay smaller and are less aggressive. My male Jd and my female Freddy are actually trying to spawn in the 300 as we speak.

Gotta love having a 300 gallon tank! I know you put a lot of work into it. Good luck with the stock too.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Thanks! It's a nice size for a handful of larger cichlids but in all honesty, even in an 8 footer, nothing lasts forever even with the added length.

At different points over the last year and a half I've had to qt fish several times including my male Jd, which is one of the smaller cichlids in the tank. He out of the blue decided the Argentea had to go. Separated them for a month, changed the scape and re- introduced. 3 months in and all is good ....

The other blow out was when I introduced my female jag. I found her at my lfs and she was crammed in a small display and I couldn't leave her there. Bought her, qt and introduced her about a month later. She went in with the Argentea to try to lessen focus from the other fish. Lasted a few days. Then she beat the crap out of everything in the tank. Went on a full blown rampage. Almost killed the Festae in my avatar.....Pulled her out for a month, rescaped and she's back in with the group. She runs the tank and flares but doesn't attack....

Bottom line.... Any combo can last a few days or weeks. As fish grow, things change..... There is no guarantee any combo will work long term.... Having somewhere to qt fish (sump, spare tank) goes a long way ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store