jaguar feeding?! please help!

Ayeeepowlow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
Hawaii
ok i starved my fish for two days (1 red devil, 2 jags, 1 red devil/convict hybrid, 5 star jewel and 2 convicts in a 55 long. i now it's over crowded but i do weekly water changes and the owner i got from i swear he had about 20 red devils w/ others cramped up in a 55 gall as well) i threw in some 3mm NLS for large fish in and all my fish ate it but my jag didnt the big jag ate one but not as wildly as the red devils and convicts. i threw in a algae wafer and my smaller jag (4in) ate it! whole i dont want him to eat that i want him to eat the pellets. :confused:

Red Devil Horde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
Ayeeepowlow;5071097; said:
ok i starved my fish for two days (1 red devil, 2 jags, 1 red devil/convict hybrid, 5 star jewel and 2 convicts in a 55 long. i now it's over crowded but i do weekly water changes and the owner i got from i swear he had about 20 red devils w/ others cramped up in a 55 gall as well) i threw in some 3mm NLS for large fish in and all my fish ate it but my jag didnt the big jag ate one but not as wildly as the red devils and convicts. i threw in a algae wafer and my smaller jag (4in) ate it! whole i dont want him to eat that i want him to eat the pellets. :confused:
That right there would be enough to tell me not to buy fish from this guy. Sounds like he's running a puppy mill. :screwy::grinno:
I wouldn't expect his fish to be very healthy.
It doesn't matter how many WC's he does, psychologically/mentally these fish are probably messed up.
Fish excrete growth inhibitors to keep their tankmate smaller than themselves so they don't need to compete as much for food/territory.
I don't think there's any way to keep up with 20 RD's in a 55G, not to mention the others...

There could be a chance these fish might be stunted, or be harboring internal nasties from stress.

I'm glad you gave them a better situation, but I'd suggest you thin out your stock to give the fish you end up with a better chance to potentially max out.

Honestly 1 Jag(full grown) is way too much for a 55G.
Full grown your Jag, & RD TL can get wider then your tank is.
They say RD's & Jags can potentially reach 16"
55G dimension: L48" x W13" x D20"

It's fine as they grow but it will get messy once 1 of your fish decide to claim his territory.
I'm just warning you, so you don't come home to a bunch of dead or badly injured fish.
If you thin out your stock, @ least you can recoup some of the $$$ it cost you to buy them.

What works in 1 tank/owner doesn't necessarily work for another.

We all make mistake in the beginning/"impulse buys".
I just want to give you a heads up so you can save yourself some $$$.
It can go towards buying a larger tank.
More volume = More fish/ Happy fish = Happy owner.

Sorry for the rant, but we hear these stories on every fish forum, & they never end with a happy ending.

Back to your question:
Sometimes it takes a few days for fish to settle in their new home.
Stress will cause a few to go on "hunger strikes".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store