Jaguar vs gulper catfish

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I'm wanting to redo my 55, I was thinking about completely starting over and doing my first planted tank (lightly planted) and was debating on either 1 gulper catfish or get a jaguar catfish and maybe an acara and firemouth so what do you think?

Also have any of you ever ordered from exoticfishshop.com? Is it reliable? The seem to have to pretty unique stuff..

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
You definitely don't want the Gulper in that comm. because in short order it'll be the only fish in your tank. Gulpers can swallow fish their size and bigger depending on body shape. So any fish kept with them has to be bigger yet peaceful toward the Gulper and even then the fish has to be big enough not to be suffocated. Gulpers will blindly latch on and even if they can't swallow the fish, engulfing their victims head in their mouths leads to death for the would be meal.

Jaguar cats are actually in the same Family as Gulpers and can be efficient predators in their own right. Though IME they're less predatory then many other woodcats. They need a tight fitting hide to feel comfortable and are very secretive so you won't see them often unless you get them on a set feeding schedule and possibly when the lights are out. Even then they tend to disappear. Some people have even resorted to spot feeding with forceps or pvc pipe to their hide to make sure the Jaguars are getting fed.

As for exoticfishshop.com unfortunately I have no experience with them so I can't help you there. We have plenty of vendors in our Marketplace though that you can look through. My woodcats where always gotten from Jeff/TangledUpInCichlids and he has some Jaguars right now between 4-6 inches. And Jeff has always been a great vendor, I've been buying from him for years now.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've ordered from exoticfish shop numerous times and was always good. Never had any problems yet.

Gulper by itself will be interesting but as a solo fish. Listen to the advice of koltsixx.

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good job Yuki!

Yea, I agree with everything Kolt said about the two catfish and I do so from my own experience.

You could have many gulpers i the same tank and you can arrange the tank so that you always see them and they will swim around a good amount of time too. That's what I have with my trio in a largely bare 240 gal.

Jags are maniac light haters. I was one of those miserable jag keepers having to feed them by throwing food on their heads. At least I always saw them.

Exoticfishshop appears a great place. Bought from them. Saw scores of others buy from them. Nothing bad have I came across.

My trio after 0:35 min:

jags 1.jpg jags 2.jpg jags 3.jpg

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Thanks guys! Yea ik what gulpers are capable of and ik to keep them solo, I was hoping a jag would seem more active but I guess not so I might go with a gulper since it's a very unique fish, and seems fairly low maintenance. What should the tank consist of? Right now I have gravel (I hate) I center piece of driftwood and fake plants ( I also hate)

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Also can gulper be kept together? 2 in a 55 would prob be to much tho

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks guys! Yea ik what gulpers are capable of and ik to keep them solo, I was hoping a jag would seem more active but I guess not so I might go with a gulper since it's a very unique fish, and seems fairly low maintenance. What should the tank consist of? Right now I have gravel (I hate) I center piece of driftwood and fake plants ( I also hate)
Right, jags are far less active and visible than gulpers.

If you want to see your gulpers, make sure they don't have a place to hide out of sight.

Also can gulper be kept together? 2 in a 55 would prob be to much tho
Gulpers do not eat gulpers. From that standpoint, you can have as many as you want.

55 gal I imagine could house several gulpers. It will take a lo-o-o-ong time if ever for them to approach 10"-12" at which point it'd be nicer for them to be in at least 2' wide tank.

I used to think they are sedentary. With my trio I came to believe that they swim quite a bit when there is room.

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I caution you on gulpers. I was super excited to get mine and now if someone offered me $20 he would be gone. Boring. They sit in one spot. Hes super picky to feed. Ive had him week and half and he hasnt eaten.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good job Yuki!

Yea, I agree with everything Kolt said about the two catfish and I do so from my own experience.

You could have many gulpers i the same tank and you can arrange the tank so that you always see them and they will swim around a good amount of time too. That's what I have with my trio in a largely bare 240 gal.

Jags are maniac light haters. I was one of those miserable jag keepers having to feed them by throwing food on their heads. At least I always saw them.

Exoticfishshop appears a great place. Bought from them. Saw scores of others buy from them. Nothing bad have I came across.

My trio after 0:35 min:

View attachment 1225535 View attachment 1225536 View attachment 1225537
Sorry for derail but what fish is that in the first vid at 1:15?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store