janitor fish and rbps

nix808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
manla
short question guys can i put The suckermouth catfish, Hypostomus plecostomus aka janitor and my rbps together? im planning to buy janitor fish this week and put it on my tank any comment?:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
depends on the RBP's mainly (i.e are they a bunch of wusses or really aggressive to everything in there tank) but there are other factors as well for example if you have a pleco thats good at laying low and the piranhas never notice him or if your tank is really big and/or has lots of hiding places the pleco can get in but the p's cant then the cohab might be successful

by the way how big is your tank ?

thedudefrom1976

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
deleted
I think plecos are ***. I went with the raphael striped cat fish. Dont expect to see him much but awesome fish a real monster too, tons of spiney armor. My P's ignore him like he's part of the substrate, of course they are usually sleeping when he's doing his thing.

Im gonna go get some shrimp and try them also.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
the thing you need to realize is that a pleco is not going to be a "janitor" they add as much bioload on your aquarium as any other fish. People always thing that they eat the fish excrement, such is not the case.

I have had a 10" pleco in a tank w/ my 3 rbp, and once they hit 4-5 inches he was toast.

dont put any fish in with them that you are not prepared to lose

BooshWacka

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Ohio
have a 10in pleco w/ my 7-9 in P's and he usually steals there food from them but also they create so much waste i think they hurt more than they help

i took and going to try ghost shrimp he soon maybe like 20 for my 125g tank

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Pfisherman;3345578; said:
the thing you need to realize is that a pleco is not going to be a "janitor" they add as much bioload on your aquarium as any other fish. People always thing that they eat the fish excrement, such is not the case.
:grinyes: True, very true. My piranhas have been living with my pleco for almost 2 1/2 years now...the only advice that I can give you is do your water changes frequently, keep them well fed, and provide enough tank space.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
I have one eight inch common pleco. The amount of poo he creates astounds me. I have to vacuum his area every other day, because it just collects and sits there, on top of the gravel. I've never seen a fish poo so much. Definitely not a janitor. More like a little baby elephant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store