JD 30 gallon starter tank

Morgwnb

Feeder Fish
Jan 17, 2024
So I recently acquired a 29 gallon tank of a family member and I was planning in starting a cichlid tank. Would a 29 gallon tank be enough to start for a Jack Dempsey, firemouth, bushy nose pleco, and a green terror? The plan would be to upgrade to at least a 55 in about a year.

Thanks for any opinions or advice,

Cheers!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It might be enough, if they are bought as juvies (1" to 2") as a temporary grow out tank for a couple months.
But whether a 55 will be enough for them as adults is another matter, as they grow, territorial disputes may be common, and could get lethal.
JDs can reach 10" as adults, so can GTs get that size, and even a FM could almost get there if treated right, so as a long term tank, even a 55 is a bit wimpy for all 3 of those, and a pleco.
For all of them together, a 6 ft tank of at least 100 or over 100 gallons would be my choice.
But
FMs seldom do well as individuals, in nature they are shoaling species, so prefer to live in groups of 4 or more FMs, without other cichlids.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Morgwnb

Feeder Fish
Jan 17, 2024
Yeah I was debating as to wether the 55 would be big enough. The other debate would be either a single JD and a pleco for the eventual 55 tank or keep the 29 running and do a small group of Rams and some larger tetras

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I recently acquired a 29 gallon tank of a family member and I was planning in starting a cichlid tank. Would a 29 gallon tank be enough to start for a Jack Dempsey, firemouth, bushy nose pleco, and a green terror? The plan would be to upgrade to at least a 55 in about a year.

Thanks for any opinions or advice,

Cheers!
Welcome aboard

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would try just one of those cichlids in the 55g...they are all too big for a 29g and they would all fight if they were together in the 55.

Blue acara could work in a 29g. They are smaller cousins of green terror.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I definitely wouldn’t do a jd in a 55, at least with other fish.
I had one in a 55 for some time, and the difference was night and day when I moved it to a 6 foot 125.
Given that a gt gets even larger, it would be the same issue (and both cichlids looking similar will lead to fights).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store