Jumping fish concerns

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
Recently I stocked my 240L with two fire and ice snakeheads... i knew they were jumpers when i got them but one of my new guys just loves to ride the bubbles from the airstone and jump into the lid! So the question or thing im wondering is should i be concerned that hes gonna cause himself some damage?? My lid is only 3mm thick similiar to what joey uses on his tanks if that helps! Also is there anything i can do to mitigate his desire to jump!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Recently I stocked my 240L with two fire and ice snakeheads... i knew they were jumpers when i got them but one of my new guys just loves to ride the bubbles from the airstone and jump into the lid! So the question or thing im wondering is should i be concerned that hes gonna cause himself some damage?? My lid is only 3mm thick similiar to what joey uses on his tanks if that helps! Also is there anything i can do to mitigate his desire to jump!
Welcome aboard

Do you have any plants in the aquarium? Do they jump when you approach the aquarium.

Reactions: kno4te

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
Add more plants and see if that helps.
Ill grab some tomorrow and see if that helps thanks for the suggestion ... hes now moved to the other side to try over there i feel like ive aquired a jail bird who just wants to be free

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Get some floating plants, helps them get comfortable :)

Water sprite is a particularly prolific and covering species that I have

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Lower the water a lot so he can't hit the lid,some fish are just air junkies,jumping can actually help them maintain their muscles ,so it's basically exercise.

Slugmire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2018
Lower the water a lot so he can't hit the lid,some fish are just air junkies,jumping can actually help them maintain their muscles ,so it's basically exercise.
I have it about 7 ish 8ish inches down now i put a towel over the lid yesterday and it stopped took it off today and hes hasnt jumped anymore!! Think he tore a couple fins so he might of learned a lesson

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store