Jungle food!

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
Just got back from Peru. Finally got into the jungle. I'm sure everyone is aware of how they eat fish we keep in our tanks. I wanted to point out the tigrinus on the right was over a foot long! This was in a town called "La Merced" The people were selling it for $. 15 (Soles) or about $5 USD. The Pleco's, and I'm going to guess thats a pangaseus on the left I forgot how much they were charging. All of these fish are served as a typical native dish (now they are often deepfried) with plantanes (a diferent kind of banana) smashed in with wild boar meat. I tried the plantanes with boar meat which wasn't bad but am saving the tig and plecs for later.

wetsocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
London
that "tigrinus" on the right looks more like a tigershovelnose!

yeah, i know! last time i saw a bunch of guys selling silver arowana over 30" long with their heads chopped off!!!! :eek:

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
yeah.. My bad. It's been so long I misidentified it but your right it's a TSN. I also mispelled pangasius.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
I had that very same thought. The day before we went to the resteraunt and they had pictures of all the dishes next to the prices. I shared a dish with my wife called Bisteak looks and sounds a lot more like Beef Steak. She's Peruvian so this is all normal for her. After dinner we were sitting near the car when this girl came up eating what to me looked like KFC. I asked her name and how old she was and my wife asked what she was eating. I had totally spaced about it until the next day when she said "remember what that little girl was eating" this was it. There were also some Piranha or Myleus next to this table. I couldn't ID them they were probably on the table for a few day and had been picked at so badly I didn't even bother taking a picture.

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
With all the specials I've watched on TV this is nothing, I've seen some real beauties cut up for food down there. It's just life there, just like us eating some of the "cool" native fish we have.

Down there Northern Pike, Muskie, Walleye, and so on are probably thought of as special but here they aren't. Just like the RTC, TSN, Tigs, etc are special to us but food to them.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I don't think it's pangasius if it's from SA. They are typically from asia, unless they have a breeding program in SA, kind of reverse of asia where they farm SA fish for food.

famous323

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
LONG BEACH, CA
deep fried pleco man i want to barf at the thought of that

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
famous323;2418806; said:
deep fried pleco man i want to barf at the thought of that
agreed. think of what alot of species eat primarily, wood and decomposing vegitation :barf:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store