just bought a 240, need help stocking!

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
shua71;4394895; said:
I don't think you can keep two tangs of the same type in the same tank. Usually they kill each other off
Some spieces of tangs "school" and they will only hurt eachother if added one at a time or with large size differences. If you add them all around 2" or less and at the same time, then most of the less agressive tangs can get along (not a 100% chance but good chance). Yellow tangs are commonly kept in large groups.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
shua71;4394895; said:
I don't think you can keep two tangs of the same type in the same tank. Usually they kill each other off
that's probably why he doesn't plan on keeping just two, but rather a larger group. this is possible with yellow tangs but i'd prefer there be even more than 5. just don't get the idea that this can be done with all tang species

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
snyder810;4396305; said:
that's probably why he doesn't plan on keeping just two, but rather a larger group. this is possible with yellow tangs but i'd prefer there be even more than 5. just don't get the idea that this can be done with all tang species
It can be done with a few, I'm pretty sure powder blues/browns school in the wild as well, so its possible to do in a larger tank (500+) assuming added at the same time.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
Kevin8888;4396406; said:
It can be done with a few, I'm pretty sure powder blues/browns school in the wild as well, so its possible to do in a larger tank (500+) assuming added at the same time.
you're correct a lot of tangs form massive schools in the ocean, but this can only be replicated in home aquaria with a select few (yellow/convict are the best candidates imo). this is because naturally they form schools in the hundreds not just 5 or so.

personally i'd never try it with powder blues in any tank short of massive as i just think it's asking for trouble

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Kevin8888;4395213; said:
Some spieces of tangs "school" and they will only hurt eachother if added one at a time or with large size differences. If you add them all around 2" or less and at the same time, then most of the less agressive tangs can get along (not a 100% chance but good chance). Yellow tangs are commonly kept in large groups.
Ah I see. I've just seen people oppose achillies and hippos so I thought yellows would fall in that category as well. My mistake

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
~ocean;4394680; said:
a good stock would be - 1 telessa moray, 1 picasso trigger, 1 clown trigger, 1 queen trigger, 1 porc puffer and a giant cowfish (kidding about the cowfish)
Ya...if you want one mortally wounded trigger in a tank with lots of other trigger parts floating around. You just put the three most aggressive commonly available triggers together in the same not. Not to mention those are some of the biggest as well...

In a 240 I would get one LARGE trigger...like a clown...and then maybe a puffer and a couple other moderately sized fish...harlequin tusk fish or something like that.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4398098; said:
Ya...if you want one mortally wounded trigger in a tank with lots of other trigger parts floating around. You just put the three most aggressive commonly available triggers together in the same not. Not to mention those are some of the biggest as well...
Yuh, thats kind of what I was thinking too, but I left it alone.
In a 240 I would get one LARGE trigger...like a clown...and then maybe a puffer and a couple other moderately sized fish...harlequin tusk fish or something like that.
I would love to have an aquarium that could house a tusk. Awesome looking fish.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ya the tusks are pretty cool. I have one on my order list for next month when my buddies online frag shack puts out their next order. I will probably have to pay $5 for my tusk. What a ripoff! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store