Just got a tire track eel , need guidance

pieisgood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
I just bought a 100gallon tank off craigslist, came with everything... Sand, rocks, filter, heater, air pump, stand , light , fish and food. 300$ a real steal I think. Anyway I got a large tire track eel in the tank and it doesn't like carnivore pellets but likes night crawlers, it's a big baby. I'm planning on putting my medium sized pleco (9in) and my young ornate bichir in the tank with the eel and was wondering if any problems might occur, one because bichirs can be aggressive .... Although mine is just shy, and another because maybe the pleco would get at the slime coat of the eel.... Any ideas?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
How big are the bichir and eel? Usually, if the bichir can't eat the eel, they should be fine. As for slime coat sucking, that would happen to the bichir before the eel as they offer more surface area. If you keep the pleco well fed, it should be alright though.

Great deal on the tank btw! Pics?

pieisgood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
How big are the bichir and eel? Usually, if the bichir can't eat the eel, they should be fine. As for slime coat sucking, that would happen to the bichir before the eel as they offer more surface area. If you keep the pleco well fed, it should be alright though.

Great deal on the tank btw! Pics?
the bichir is less than half the size of the eel, so awesome! Here are some pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Dont want to rain on your parade, but you will most likely (at some stage) need to upgrade your tank to house that eel for life, since you are looking at a fish that has the potential to reach up to 3'+ if kept under optimal conditions...

Anyway, looks like a good setup for now, but may want to keep eyeing larger tanks on craigslist or something ;)

pieisgood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Dont want to rain on your parade, but you will most likely (at some stage) need to upgrade your tank to house that eel for life, since you are looking at a fish that has the potential to reach up to 3'+ if kept under optimal conditions...

Anyway, looks like a good setup for now, but may want to keep eyeing larger tanks on craigslist or something ;)
Oh man I know, I got a ****in' steal on this tank and plan to eventually upgrade to a 300 gallon, so it's in my plans for the future, plus the guy who sold me this tank said it was 150g, but I measured the tank and did the calculation my self and it came to 100 gallon... oh well still a ****in' awesome deal. I have a 55g with my bichir and pleco... so I needed something bigger and 300 gallons is about where I max out at size. Should be fun though, I own the house I live in so I don't plan on moving (which is what got the guy who sold me the tank). Overall, I hope to keep the fish happy.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ great to hear you have plans for your guy, especially since itd not often you see large Tire Track Eels :)

pieisgood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Just put the pleco in the tank, poor guys spines got caught in the net for a second. He was pissed, but seems to be doing fine now. Getting rid of the red tail tin foil barb in the tank, he's a jerk that eats all the food and bullies other fish. Good news is a LFS will take it off our hands and pay for it too.

We used to have a brown bullhead catfish which really got us liking big fish, and the eel is a cool dude. Also, nice planted tanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store