Just got this little dude today...

fook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
us
He might be the smallest I've seen. The only relatively safe place I could put him is with an african brown knife. Maybe not ideal but he would die in a matter of seconds in any of my other tanks. It turns out that the knife pays no attention to him at all. But a few minutes after I put him in there I noticed he was swimming up to the knife. I was kind of worried but just watched. This tiny bichir inched his way right up next to the knife who is maybe 20 times his size and bit him on the tail. I couldn't believe it. Maybe the best defense sometimes is a good offense. :D

And those spots are on the outside of the end of the tank...not in the water.

007.JPG

007.JPG

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Omg he is like a fry still. So tiny and cute. It will be fun to see him grow.

Hope he does not turn into a snack. Good luck.

dani_starr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2012
Cali
Awww he's so little!!! :D :eek:

fook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
us
As a guy with pretty big fish, having this little guy is pretty cool. I still can't believe how tiny he is. They had another small senegal that was about 3 times as big as this one but I didn't really want that guy. I already have one of those which I raised from a baby. I'd like to get some other more colorful bichirs if I see them around but I never do. But I had to get this one because he was so tiny and I'm curious to see what he looks like when he gets bigger.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
He's so cuuute! It would be fun to do a "Growing up" thread! Post measurements and stats every coupla weeks or so! Good luck with the little guy!

fook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
us
I'll post pics as he grows. I'm going to do a little experimenting with feeding. I happened to have a little flake food down here and he ate some of that last night. I'm going to cut up some blood worms in a little while and see if he takes them. I also tossed in a couple of sinking shrimp pellets yesterday but I don't like using stuff like that because it can get messy if it isn't eaten. I already have enough tank cleaning responsibilities without making more work for myself with messy foods. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store