Just picked this up

iCR8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
So.CaL
mycichlid.com
Lots of SRT have yellow faces now. Depends on the parents. Sorry no JK in this piece

oHsNaP1337

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
CA
Very nice, hope it's a female, cause that is gonna make a great breeder....

JPlikewoah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Mc Donalds
If I haven't seen this fish up close in person, I would've said it's a full SRT by just looking at the pics also. The pics aren't clear enough to able to see much, but this is not a usual full SRT. After staring at the fish for couple minutes in person, the gill plate area where yellow and red meet got me thinking it's not a full SRT. The normal SRTs have the orange/redness from inside from the body like a parrot, or a faded midas, while this one have redness pastered on top of the scales like Red dragons and JK's. For those that are local to HOT and check out their store often will also know that they have had several SRT's in and they are very JK'ish rather than SRT. My guess is that all these SRT are coming from the same supplier and he uses a JK or a reddish faded FH's instead of a usual parrot, RS,RM, and midas female to make these. And also from the pics, you can see the faded flowerlines coming all the way upto the gill plate area while full SRT's usually only get flowerlines from tail bone to half of the body(before they fade).

metalslug

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
new york
SRT's come in a wide range, depending on breeders and fish used, but all SRT should have yellow eyes, not white or red. I have seen many faded fish sold as SRT that are clearly not. Looking at yours it seems to be maybe from an F2 SRT breeding program, which in that case the fish may all not have the same look. I will post a bunch of SRT pics later so you can get a better idea.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
I appreciate the discussion surrounding my recent pick-up. He moves quick, making it hard to get a clear pic with my pos camera. I have a JK who faded at 7 inches. His coloration is similar in that he has a yellow face, red body and yellow/orange back. The eye color is completely different as my JK has red eyes. Regardless of whether he is pure SRT, part SRT or no SRT at all, I am pleased with his appearance and know it will only get better as he grows. I don't like that the store may have sold him as something that he is not, but that happens far too often. Again I appreciate the discussion, as I too learn from your experience. Please keep talking about it and I will continue to update with pics as he puts on size.
-Andrew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store