Just setup a new tank. What should I put in it?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I have an empty 75g tank that just started cycling tonight. Filtration is a eheim pro 4 350 and an emperor 400.

What should I put in there? I'd like a breeding pair or a colony.

I was thinking:

1. T. Maculippinis- 6-8 maybe and a few swordtails.

2. A. Lyonsi- a pair

3. Jack Dempsey pair

4. A pair of H. Carpintis or H. Cyanoguttatus

5. 1 pair of Macaw cichlids and 1 pair of T-bars or RAinbow cichlids

6. Pair of severums.

7. Amazon community (apostle, rams, tetras, angels)

8. A pair of green terrors.

IMG_6131.JPG

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Too small for a pair of Lyonsi. And probably the Texas too. Honestly anything over 6-8" is probably gonna have issues in a 4ft tank come breeding time. No personal space ya know?
I always thought bottom surface area
Steered more than length? I thought 48x18 was a fairly versatile footprint.

I plan to upgrade to a 180g or 220 eventually. Just starting with the 75.

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
The footprint is versatile, yes. What needs to be considered is the volume of fish versus water. Lyonsi and Texas both get 10" or better, and thick and tall. Two of those in a tank with high emotions due to breeding is a recipe for trouble. It could also work for life, no real way of knowing. When it comes to the Lyonsi in particular, I would NOT risk the lives of 2 fish thought to be extinct in the wild. Too much of a gamble for me. Just food for thought.... Would you wanna raise 300-500 babies in a prison cell with your spouse and nowhere to go?!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think your best option would be to find out your water parameters first.If your water is hard with a ph over 7, I would opt for a group of thorichthys and the swordtails. However maculipinnis is the most aggressive of the family. I would look at aureaus, helleri or socolofi if you can find them.
If you have soft acidic water then I would go for the amazonian dwarf cichlids and tetras.
As Tyler has stated most of the others are too big or aggressive for a 75.
Best of luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store