Juvenile fogo bass for sale?!

Jjiang00

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Hi just wondering if anybody has experience buying the fogos from predatory fins and if those are true fogos. I thought they were more rare and ridiculously hard to get your hands on? Dude gets a new shipment virtually every week lmao.

alexp11

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
ohio
Up until recently they’ve been impossible to source. However they have entered the US trade now, Wes brought in the first batch and PF the second batch. As far as this new import of juveniles I can’t say if they’re legit or not. I’d like to thing given the rarity of them and the steps taken to import that they’d be properly labeled, however there have been issues with his identification in the past.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
Up until recently they’ve been impossible to source. However they have entered the US trade now, Wes brought in the first batch and PF the second batch. As far as this new import of juveniles I can’t say if they’re legit or not. I’d like to thing given the rarity of them and the steps taken to import that they’d be properly labeled, however there have been issues with his identification in the past.
Couldnt agree with you even more. That's why i am sitting back and watching everyone's progression pictures. Mislabeling has been a past issue and it seems to be getting worse with cross breeding etc. Hopefully these are true fogo and someone gets some to spawn. that would be awesome. like with the intermedia.

Jjiang00

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Couldnt agree with you even more. That's why i am sitting back and watching everyone's progression pictures. Mislabeling has been a past issue and it seems to be getting worse with cross breeding etc. Hopefully these are true fogo and someone gets some to spawn. that would be awesome. like with the intermedia.
Yeah think im just gonna have to be satisfied witb my xingu for now cause there was an earlier thread that had pbass misidentified by pred fins but i really wanted to know if anybody bought any and if they are growing out to be true fogos. Guess we gotta just wait and see

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
Yeah think im just gonna have to be satisfied witb my xingu for now cause there was an earlier thread that had pbass misidentified by pred fins but i really wanted to know if anybody bought any and if they are growing out to be true fogos. Guess we gotta just wait and see
I have seen them mislabel fish as well. Hopefully they learn to identify cichla better. They do have a awesome facility though. All the fogo coming in now, It is truely a waiting game to see if they are true fogo. Not discarding the sellers in anway possible just saying hopefully these are true fogo. Esp since there no specific juvie pics previously no one really knows what small fogo look like.

Reactions: Jjiang00

alexp11

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
ohio
I have seen them mislabel fish as well. Hopefully they learn to identify cichla better. They do have a awesome facility though. All the fogo coming in now, It is truely a waiting game to see if they are true fogo. Not discarding the sellers in anway possible just saying hopefully these are true fogo. Esp since there no specific juvie pics previously no one really knows what small fogo look like.
The first and second batch are legit. They’re big enough to show some colors and patterns. The new smaller ones are hard to tell due to their size. I have trouble differentiating bass at that size myself.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Previous mislabelings aside I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the assumption that the little ones are captive breds from Asia.

Reactions: bassinmike85

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I'll just wait and see. Not to hopeful.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The first and second batch are legit. They’re big enough to show some colors and patterns. The new smaller ones are hard to tell due to their size. I have trouble differentiating bass at that size myself.
So do I,as a matter of fact.
I remember years ago when azuls first became available and only a few select vendors were bringing them in.The azuls were a big deal back then as the new cichla species on the block that everyone had to have.Then they became more readily available due to mass breeding of them overseas and their prices lowered...a few years later the same thing happened with the kelberi and then the with the xingu and intermedia to a lesser degree and now it appears that the next unicorn holy grail cichla has taken it's turn and entered the hobby.
Great time to be a cichla enthusiast.

Jjiang00

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
So do I,as a matter of fact.
I remember years ago when azuls first became available and only a few select vendors were bringing them in.The azuls were a big deal back then as the new cichla species on the block that everyone had to have.Then they became more readily available due to mass breeding of them overseas and their prices lowered...a few years later the same thing happened with the kelberi and then the with the xingu and intermedia to a lesser degree and now it appears that the next unicorn holy grail cichla has taken it's turn and entered the hobby.
Great time to be a cichla enthusiast.
Were fogos always rarer than azuls, xingu, etc or just now because they werent available for the longest time? That probably also means if we wait a couple years the prices would drop drastically right? Either way, stoked theyre finally here! Just dont wanna get ripped off and buy a bunch only to find out they cost $20 each at my local fish store a couple years later.

Reactions: BigShawn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store