Juvinile black piranha help

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Hi Guys
Saw this fish at LFS and was thinking about picking him up,
but the guy said he thinks he will remain a silver color as he gets older, but he really wasnt sure, so i passed on him anyway.
Im looking for the ones that turn black with the red eyes, is it possible to know at this size, or would i need to get something a little older and bigger to know for sure?
What do you guys think?
thanks alot!

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Guys
Saw this fish at LFS and was thinking about picking him up,
but the guy said he thinks he will remain a silver color as he gets older, but he really wasnt sure, so i passed on him anyway.
Im looking for the ones that turn black with the red eyes, is it possible to know at this size, or would i need to get something a little older and bigger to know for sure?
What do you guys think?
thanks alot!

View attachment 1486489

View attachment 1486490

View attachment 1486491
Knowing what the collection point where they caught the Black Piranha is very important.

DarthRhom

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
New Jersey
You won't know at that size. Give him a dark substrate and he'll get darker. If its a rhom he'll get red eyes around 6-8".

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
If it has glittery scales, then it won't ever get black. It will be a "diamond" variety. The flat black/purple ones are from Peru, I believe. The problem you are going to have is they grow slooooooow AF, and they don't get dark until larger (maybe 10"+?). If that is a 4-5" fish, it might take you 10 years to get to 10"

Irsan123

Feeder Fish
Jun 20, 2022
Yeap the seller said it was from Peru, but I think the baby are all mixed together by the distributor, the are few difference in the marking and colour of the fin. Btw at what size do they started to morph into their adult form

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeap the seller said it was from Peru, but I think the baby are all mixed together by the distributor, the are few difference in the marking and colour of the fin. Btw at what size do they started to morph into their adult form
According to a very experienced member who kept black piranha 6-8 inches post #3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store