K1 media

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi
Who uses K1 media in their sumps on ray tanks?
What is the best way to use it? I am used to using al***rog a type of filter rock but hear that is old school now. Where in the sump do you put the K1. I read you need to put airstones under the medium. I am confused about how you would incorporate this into a standard sump set up?
Thanks for any help guys

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I use k1 in mine, you do not need an airstone as it can be used like any media but by adding an airstone you get a really nice moving bed (type moving bed filter in to YouTube) they are great as the constant movement keeps the media clean and well oxygenated. My sump inlet is turbulent enough to spin up the k1 anyway. I bought some off eBay in bags and then a huge box from iver maidenhead aquatics. The media is quite buoyant. Great stuff...many maidenhead aquatics have reduced their turnover and added moving beds to their sumps as it uses much less energy.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I use k3 in my sump, which is just the larger version.

Made a chamber right in the middle of the sump with egg crate on each end, put 2 air stones on the bottom powered by a large pump and added k3. The k3 won't fit through the holes in the egg crate where k1 would.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
look at the build thread all the details are there

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
U.K. West Midlands
K1 is incorperated in my setup. I have a 120ltr per minute pump turning over 125 litres of k1 and 25 litres of bio chip. working well for me. I use 2 200mm ceramic air disks to move my media.you can see my sump at approx 1.07 mark
[video=youtube;Wi7GsiBodQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7GsiBodQk[/video]
Hope this helps

It can also be used as a static media too

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have been using k1 for 2 years now you need to put it in a bag or it gets everyeere in the sump

It also need to move to self clean

My sump is run full so no wet and dry its set up like a giant canister filter

It also floats so I just have 3 big air stones in my sump to move it all around and air the media more

My dump has eheim efimech on the bottom then eheim substrate pro then the k1 floating on the top this is all in the big main part of the sump

The 1st part of my sump were the water comes in has jap mat which is like the course pad in a canister filter
I can't stand filter socks

The next part of the sump has bio balls

The 1st and 2nd parts of the sump are both 30 long x 10 wide

I stir all the main part of the sump up once per month and turn the drip up full over night so about a 50% water change
The tank goes like soap and would scare most people but it's dupe clear the next morning I then wash the jap mats the next day just like you would a pre filter

Been running it like this and had no problems

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store