Keep the blochii or get an ornatus?

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Hey guys

I don't know which to choose. I bought a Pimelodella blochii last week for pretty cheap at a LFS nearby and this weekend I'll be going to another LFS that has 5 inch ornatus for $30. They both get to about a foot long so I only want to keep one in my 55gal. Is the ornatus worth it?

Lemme know what you guys think!

Brian

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Oranatus for sure. I love those fish. I will be getting one hopefully when I get a larger tank. I think they are stunning.

Chad

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Chad55;540413; said:
Oranatus for sure. I love those fish. I will be getting one hopefully when I get a larger tank. I think they are stunning.

Chad
Thanks Chad :)

PlanetCatfish says they grow up to 11 inches, but I have yet to read about anyone having an 11 inch long specimen. Do you really think they get that long? I'm thinking they probably get just as big as the Pimelodella blochii, but no bigger.

Brian

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
You know what, I think I'm going to go with an entirely different catfish - there are just too many!! I'm thinking that either "Pim" will uproot my planted tank so I'm going to get something a little different :)

Roy L.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
Norway, Scandinavia
I have 4 Pimelodus blochi that are about 20 cm (7,8 inches?)
And they are definitely adult fish, many years old.
They are quite peaceful too.

I dont think they get any bigger. Planetcatfish also says max 25 cm.

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Roy L.;541001; said:
I have 4 Pimelodus blochi that are about 20 cm (7,8 inches?)
And they are definitely adult fish, many years old.
They are quite peaceful too.

I dont think they get any bigger. Planetcatfish also says max 25 cm.
hmm, do they kick up a lot of gravel at that size?

Roy L.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
Norway, Scandinavia
Not really. Sometimes they showel away some sand to get room under the driftwood.
I have fine sand in the tank.

Planetcatfish says max 28 cm for the ornatus, so i guess they get a little bit bigger.

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Roy L.;541010; said:
Not really. Sometimes they showel away some sand to get room under the driftwood.
I have fine sand in the tank.

Planetcatfish says max 28 cm for the ornatus, so i guess they get a little bit bigger.
well, maybe I'll just keep my blochii then! I'm planning on picking up another cat this weekend (I thought it was going to be a ornatus, but I'm going with an oddball).

Brian

upyun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Philadelphia
Roy L.;541019; said:
Well.. I understand why you want an Ornatus anyway.. They are really beutiful.
(I never had one)
Well, I knew that I couldn't house both blochii and an ornatus in my 55gal along with the rest of my fish so I had to choose one :( The good thing is, from what I've read, both blochii and ornatus grow semi-slow so that's good for me. The catfish I want to get this weekend is a Parauchenoglanis guttatus :) Can't wait! I was going to sell the blochii and get a Syno. decorus as well as the Parauchenoglanis guttatus, but I'll stick with the blochii. I think the Parauchenoglanis is going to look so unique and cool at a full 8 inches :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store