Keeping a red bellie piranha solo yes or no?

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
Hi there my name is Golden_aqutics. I've been keeping my rescue pirhana for about 1 year and a couple months and i was wondering your guys opinion on keeping him by himself with a few friends that he gets along with great. I've seen that your not supposed to keep them by themselves but I don't think thats true when i rescued JAWS (my rescue pirhana) i found him in a 3 gallon tank with 2 other pirahnas and i save him otherwise he would be dead in next few hours because he was beaten by the others so bad his jaw was broken and fin ripped ( how he got the name JAWS) and he's recovered ever since that day and doing well he even got a great personality on him like letting me feed hin by hand and many more things. Do you support this action of keeping him alone or no?IMG_20190910_142921_159.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Good solo, or with two additional like sized pygos in at least a 75, do a water change and mix up the tank before adding others. GL

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
Good solo, or with two additional like sized pygos in at least a 75, do a water change and mix up the tank before adding others. GL
So a 120 wpnt be to nig for him? He's in a 55 gallon now woth some others fish he heys along woth like a bucktooth terta and a bristle nose pleco and a ton of live plants

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
its ok to make pygos solitary...that's up to you. if you want it perfect always then do a solitary pygo tank and if you want a more active tank so a school of them. no such thing as a big tank or over filtering it. provide them with the biggest home and the best filtration. i couldn't believe an idiot could house 3 pygos in a 3 gallon...that's insane. when i got my very first manueli a million years ago it was only 3.5 inches. i actually housed that in a 100g by itself just to to see what will happen. it got more aggressive and actually patrolled the whole tank. anything i put in that tank he would kill/eat. wouldn't tolerate another fish. manuelis get more territorial if given a lot of room. believe it or not that small little thing used up the whole 100g...very fast swimmer and used every space in that tank.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
he even got a great personality on him like letting me feed hin by hand
You have got balls of steel to feed him by hand, any chance we could get a video of it?

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
its ok to make pygos solitary...that's up to you. if you want it perfect always then do a solitary pygo tank and if you want a more active tank so a school of them. no such thing as a big tank or over filtering it. provide them with the biggest home and the best filtration. i couldn't believe an idiot could house 3 pygos in a 3 gallon...that's insane. when i got my very first manueli a million years ago it was only 3.5 inches. i actually housed that in a 100g by itself just to to see what will happen. it got more aggressive and actually patrolled the whole tank. anything i put in that tank he would kill/eat. wouldn't tolerate another fish. manuelis get more territorial if given a lot of room. believe it or not that small little thing used up the whole 100g...very fast swimmer and used every space in that tank.
When you say pygos you mean red bellies right? Also woth the territorial part he never got aggresive with his tank mates?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store