KEEPING BABY ROCKFISH!

MDFishTanks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2013
MD
stripers and rockfish are the same it just depends on the location/size/season they are being fished for. stripers/rockfish are saltwater fish not freshwater.. they do travel up rivers to brackish/fresh water to give birth. they can not live in fresh water alone. the other thing you could look at would be white bass which are typically freshwater and look similar to striped bass. also on that note there are striped bass hybrids which are striped bass and white bass when mating upstream. I would not keep a striped bass in a tank unless it is huge. i have seen 48" + striped bass while fishing and the same goes for ones held in captivity... since you are in fishing in ches. bay i would go to bass pro in hampton and checkout there display tank. they have multiple bass over 36" in there, they look miserable and that is easily over 1000gal tank.
We're catching rockfish of all sizes through the year, not just spawning season in the conowingo dam.....freshwater, not salt.

MDFishTanks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2013
MD
Caught a ton of rockfish all around 8-12 inches. They were annoying because we were fishing for catfish and they kept getting caught on the hooks. They do seem like they would look nice in a HUGE tank though or pond.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
uploadfromtaptalk1412351770432.jpg

Here's a landlocked striper caught in Lake Pleasant in Arizona. They definitely can live and thrive in freshwater.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
PA has weird laws. The DCR here doesn't care what fish you use for bait, anything you catch can be cut up and used (this includes game fish and bait fish) and it only counts towards your daily limit and size goes out the door if its being used as bait. As for keeping game fish....I've never had a ranger tell me no to any fish I've had in a bucket...and we have big striper here at Lake Arthur.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Tons of rockfish/strippers here in the Tennessee River. There is a large tributary that feeds the river in one spot that the stripers migrate up in the dog days of summer. They go about 3-4 miles upstream to a large spring that feeds into the creek. They sit in the cold 56℉ water all summer long until about mid-October, then they go back to the river. There are usually about 100-200 in the school. If you spook one, they all leave ,making a bunch of wakes that look like jet ski's are in the creek making waves. I also catch smaller ones occasionally. I guess that they are spawning a little, because the TWRA doesn't stock them. They aren't the hybrids with broken longitudinal lines either. If they'd just jump when hooked, man they would be awesome.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i have only managed to catch two striper my entire life one was caught behind a dam in a river and the other was caught in a smaller river
both weighed around 16 lbs they sure do fight hard when you hang into one even the smaller ones do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store