keeping crawfish happy, from escaping.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have some local creek crawfish. Do they normaly crawl out of the tank. To fight with the cat, on the carpet. Perhaps I need better cover, more food. I know some critters just like too roam.
Thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
They roam, just keep the tank air tight. All mine disappeared out of my tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Must be something to see a crayfish fighting a cat.
That shouldn't be a very long fight....Perhaps you can make sure there are no tall items such as driftwood or plants that the crays could use as a ladder but then,filter tubes and possibly heaters would be fair game as escape tools.As predatorfeeler already said,keep the lid openings tight and maybe keep the water level a few inches low.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I laughed @fighting with cat on carpet :p
Anyway, I kept crayfish for few years and oddly none of mine try to escape my tank, and I keep seeing folks reported that their crayfish like to fight with the cat on their carpet :)
*Oh, all my crayfish were in a 150G with 24" height, I guess my tank too high for them to try to escape? (No offense to anyone here I'm just curious)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Anyway, I kept crayfish for few years and oddly none of mine try to escape my tank.
Same thing with me when I kept octopus....despite other people's complaints none of mine ever tried to escape .

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Its an indoor cat. Still has not figured out what it's big teeth are for.
I am wondering if crawfish will roam. If they are going to molt? He has been content for several months.
Years ago I had a 6" snapping turtle. Jump out, crawl down a flight of stairs. Where he hid under the couch for 3 days. In a house with 3 touph farm cats.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I am wondering if crawfish will roam. If they are going to molt?
*The answer is NO
*It will try to hide in their favorite cave/hole/under some unreachable or hard to access to avoid being spot and change to get eaten by other crayfish/predators
*it will become more aggression in sight like to raise their claws if anything come close to them "a bluff move to scare other away before they going to molt".
*depend on size/age your crayfish would molt every 4-6 weeks if keep them well fed.
Edit:
If you have no place for it to call "home" then you might seeing it roaming around to find a place.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I think having a dark place to hide, has helped. I tossed the can in to see if it, will work. To keep him from roaming.
The Getto hermit crab☺

20161015_111210.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store