Keeping crayfish

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
i put mine with guppies, midas fries and barbs and nver seen him hurting them. and i have no clue how big yours can get, im not familiar with yours.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
I have kept a couple of crayfish before and they are quite amusing little creatures. Im not sure what species you have, someone will know soon. They eat pretty much anything, and will eat those feeders if he can catch them alright. Id vary his diet a bit with plant/veggie and meaty foods.

The main thing you need to know about the crayfish is the molting. Every so often they shed their all of their shell (and I mean all of it, claws, eye sockets), one day you will look in there and see two of them! They do this as they can grow larger and it is very IMPORTANT you leave the old shell in the tank so he eats it. You wont need to feed him anything at this time. He needs to eat the old shell for the calcium I think it is, as this makes his new shell harden faster. They are very vunerable at this point and may hide alot. They can also lose a whole limb and claw when doing this but it can regrow on the next molt.

Make sure he cant escape out of the top, they climb alot. Have fun!
I would guess you bought your crayfish by the Cachi Dam in Orosi. That species is the red swamp crayfish (procambarius clarkii). Their life span is relatively short for a crayfish, 3-5 years. If yours was the biggest, he/she might have been fairly mature at purchase.

They are non-native so feel free to go load up your aquarium with as many as you want, without worrying about taking too many out of nature.

Advice: confirmed. if he wants out of your rubber maid tank, he's gone.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
I've had the same crayfish with Goldfish before and only on one occasion did he "catch" a Goldfish and it just resulted in a split tail.

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
i have 3 and somehow they have gotten 3 gold fish. and devowered them they get fed flakes and anything on the bottom daily. if you guys find a way for them not to eat them let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store