Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania

Here's an aerial view of my pond.

Closeup 1

Closeup 2

Closeup 3

I haven't taken pictures of the pond since 2007, but the only difference really is less grass on the edges, more cattails, and the water level is about 6 inches higher. It is spring fed and currently contains smallmouth bass, walleye, and other river fish including a 3 ft flathead catfish.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
you should make the water warm and growth rate should 1-2" per month

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
I know someone out here in socal that has gar in a pond thats only 300g and he heats it in the winter- Im pretty sure you wont be heating your little 100,000g lake- you said alligator gars lived up there at one point- did they hibernate or do they migrate? Sturgeon might be a thought too- theyre pretty cool and like cooler water and are monsters

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
badreverend;3056315; said:
I know someone out here in socal that has gar in a pond thats only 300g and he heats it in the winter- Im pretty sure you wont be heating your little 100,000g lake- you said alligator gars lived up there at one point- did they hibernate or do they migrate? Sturgeon might be a thought too- theyre pretty cool and like cooler water and are monsters
what he said but dont the gars live in a river not pond?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Here's what I found on various websites: They inhabit sluggish pools and backwaters or large rivers, bayous, and lakes. They are rarely found in brackish or saltwater, but are more adaptable to the latter than are other gars. They usually can be found in calm pools of water, deep rivers, backwaters, and larger lakes lurking around the bottom.

I think it should be feasible to keep alligator gar in my pond or at least longnose gar.

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
Hao;3056890; said:
what he said but dont the gars live in a river not pond?

If they do live in rivers then its even more likely to do a half hearted migration- Im just guessing though, but I do know PA can get as cold as a witches tip- and they can handle cool water but I dont think they can handle ice water- wiggles- does the pond freeze over?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store