Keeping multiple dats together

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My small problem is when I turn on the hood lights the indos go pale and dash around.Luckily I rarely use those lights.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
In my experience they are best kept 1 dat per tank, I've kept NGT, Polta and Indo's, In sizes from 1/2" up to about 9"+. All 3 species at all sizes tormented each other and were much more unstable in groups/pairs.

All 3 species seem fine with any other fish just not other dat's. And even ones that were shy or unstable became very stable and much more bold when kept as the only dat in the tank.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
i have a silver and 2 thin bars. The silver was the smallest of the group but ate everything from pellets,sticks,krill. In 6 months it outgrew the other two and now is the bully. My thin bars only eat live.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
My small problem is when I turn on the hood lights the indos go pale and dash around.Luckily I rarely use those lights.
mine are just the opposite, at the lfs they were very stable and when I brought them home they stayed pale. I figured I'd keep lights off for them to acclimate and they remained pale. Then I decided to turn on the light, they brighten up in a few minutes

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Right now i have 3 indo's in my 300.. 14", 12", & 9".. Very interesting because at first the 2 bigger ones always hung out together and then it was like a light switch flipped and now the big one bullies the med size one and keeps him in hiding alot of the time.. The smallest one i just added a few days ago so i can't really add to much on him yet. But the wierd thing is my 2 smaller ones are stable 3/4 the time and the big one that is the most Dom out of the 3 is unstable most the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store