Keeping Sturgeon in Aquarium

Lermin

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2018
Hi there, I would like to become a monster fish keeper in the near future. It is my dream to have sturgeon, however, is it even possible to keep them in an aquarium their whole life? I have done some research, and noticed that shovel nose sturgeon stay relatively small (three feet or less). Is this accurate? Where would one go about purchasing these? How large of an aquarium would be necessary? How expensive would that aquarium be? Any insight into these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Merlin

Lermin

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2018
Hi there, I would like to become a monster fish keeper in the near future. It is my dream to have sturgeon, however, is it even possible to keep them in an aquarium their whole life? I have done some research, and noticed that shovel nose sturgeon stay relatively small (three feet or less). Is this accurate? Where would one go about purchasing these? How large of an aquarium would be necessary? How expensive would that aquarium be? Any insight into these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Merlin
One more thing, I have had many aquariums in the past (mostly saltwater) and have had eels, octopuses, seahorses, etc. However, this would be my first expenditure into large aquariums. Thanks again.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Merlin

Welcome aboard:)

Oddball Oddball

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
You must keep one thing in mind. Sturgeon live a long freakin time. It depends on the species, but most can live up to 75 years.
With this fact in mind, sturgeon, if kept in the right conditions, are hardy fish. Im pretty sure shovel nose are hard to come by. I havent seen any in a long time.
The three most common species are diamonds, siberisans, and sterlets. Since diamonds and siberians grow to a considerable size, I would strongly recommend a sterlet.
If kept in a pond with the right conditions, sterlet can thrive, but even they are limited in a tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Keep below 70 degrees, feed meaty foods, no pellets except those formulated especially for sturgeons.
Indoor ponds work.

Foods: crayfish, shrimp, clams/mussels,cut fish or small dead fish such as silversides, crickets, prawns.

Reactions: davemal

Keyboard Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2018
If you have the space, I'd do an indoor pond. If you don't, as long as you don't live in the southern (including southeast and southwest) US, an outdoor pond would work.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
i second the indoor pond idea

you can get small outdoor pools on amazon cheap and run all types of filtration on them

i have one running in my basement with no heater and my sturgeon has thrived in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store