Keeping Two Oscars Together?

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
Sounds like you don't have a lot of time, meaning you may not be able to do enough water changes to keep 2, or much less 4 in good enough water quality to keep them healthy.
Better one lonely oscar (and I don't believe they get lonely) than a few living in their own swill from lack of water changes.
More than get lonely, if their tank isn't large enough for more than one, they get frustrated with lack of space and kill, or badger the other to death in a small tank.
They will however need something to interact with though, if you have substrate, and decor, they will constantly redecorate the tank for something to do.
I know people who give their oscars toy balls or other toys to keep them busy.
ok cool, do you think this would be good?
150cm x 60cm x 50cm tank
2cm deep gravel
a ayirstone under some smooth stones and a few amazon swords or anubius
a piece of driftwood
once he / she gets larger a ping pong ball or somthing
I can do whatever % water changes weekly but more than weekly is pushing it
do you think a sailfin pleco would be okay with him/her?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would get a python or similar water changer that hooks up to your water source, and do big water changes once a week. I have done different schedules in the past for certain setups, but in general I only do my WC's weekly, 70% or so for a cichlid tank. Just test your water for a while (and as fish grows), don't want much nitrate in an Oscar tank due to ease of developing HLLE. Your tank setup sounds fine to me for a single O though.

Reactions: Peach02

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I would get a python or similar water changer that hooks up to your water source, and do big water changes once a week. I have done different schedules in the past for certain setups, but in general I only do my WC's weekly, 70% or so for a cichlid tank. Just test your water for a while (and as fish grows), don't want much nitrate in an Oscar tank due to ease of developing HLLE. Your tank setup sounds fine to me for a single O though.
ok cool so a weekly large water change with the aim to keep nitrate at 0?

The Silvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Leeds UK
I have a solo oscar tank. He's called luther and couldn't give a **** about anything but me and food. He has shared his tank with 2 different bichir and one huge common plec. The only attention he gave either of them was just making sure that he got his dinner before they did, he was happy when they moved home. They don't get lonely, they get tank boss attitudes and love it !!

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
This is my Oscar tank. Simple set up so maintenance is easy. One piece of drift wood to lift up while I gravel vac. You don’t want a ton of decoration in a Oscar tank because thats were a lot of funk builds up/harder to clean, plus it takes up swimming space. 2 ac110 with 2 large sponge filters ,eheim 300 watt heater. This tank requires two 50% water changes a week minimum.

A39EEAC3-3CF2-4B5A-9620-75587335AE01.jpeg

02997489-39B3-4A3D-9149-031AB959735B.jpeg

5324F68E-7725-41CF-9370-5F956D13039C.jpeg

04E6ABE8-DA68-4295-89C3-32D14541C919.jpeg

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
Thanks for all the very helpful responses everyone. Ill look into keeping lighter stocking of just a pleco and the Oscar or two oscars / 6 initially until a pair formed. It would be better to grow out the pleco first right?

The Silvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Leeds UK
Oscar aggression is rarely a I'm hungry situation and more of a territory thing. The pleco size shouldn't matter just as long as he wont fit in his mouth at the start. Get a blue or green phantom plec I've found them to be a bit tougher when tiny. A single plec wont bother your oscar too much once tank boss feelings are set :) best or luck with it !!

Reactions: Zanzag and Peach02
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store