KEEPING YOUR FAVORITE FISH

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Yeah the thread got derailed, but that's how conversations go, one thing leads to the next and you get off topic. What there is too much of on this site (and most other forums) is people calling others out just for a harmless contribution to a conversation. Forums are a community with a shared interest, just let conversations go where they will and let people say what they want to say

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
That said, I am fortunate to keep my favorite fish, a Tiger Shovelnose Catfish. He's just a 7" baby right now, in a 110, soon to be in a 600, and eventually a 14' x 7' footprint. Here's my boy Drogo and his current home (stand still under construction)IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1473.JPG

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Yeah the thread got derailed, but that's how conversations go, one thing leads to the next and you get off topic. What there is too much of on this site (and most other forums) is people calling others out just for a harmless contribution to a conversation. Forums are a community with a shared interest, just let conversations go where they will and let people say what they want to say
So would it be ok to go to a post that says show your piranha tanks and say I don't keep piranhas but heres my eel tank no it wouldn't. Threads have topics for a reason and people constantly derailing threads is another reason why traffic is low and people leave. Its very easy for people to start their own thread and not derail or disregard some elses topic just because you want to talk about or show your fish.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
So would it be ok to go to a post that says show your piranha tanks and say I don't keep piranhas but heres my eel tank no it wouldn't. Threads have topics for a reason and people constantly derailing threads is another reason why traffic is low and people leave. Its very easy for people to start their own thread and not derail or disregard some elses topic just because you want to talk about or show your fish.
I see your point, I really do. Your example with the eel pic in a piranha thread would be a little annoying. But that's now what happened here. The conversation didn't get derailed out of nowhere, it was a natural progression from one thing to the next to the next. It's not worth complaining about. And your complaint derailed the thread more than the discussion about the potential size about someones favorite fish. My point was simply that it's better to have a topic get derailed because people are having a conversation than it is for it to get derailed and turn into a thread full of complaints and criticisms.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Does thread derailing really chase people off?....it's understood that threads have topics for a reason and all but it seems pretty petty if someone is turned off enough by derails to actually stop posting on a forum.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Does thread derailing really chase people off?....it's understood that threads have topics for a reason and all but it seems pretty petty if someone is turned off enough by derails to actually stop posting on a forum.
Agreed. I think it's a pretty small number who would let that ruin a site for them

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Its a combination of things but definitely one, its about to run me off. And to be clear there are lots of fish keepers around me who choose not to use this site anymore. A lot of people are just tired of the hassles of this board .Call me petty if you want but im tired of reading pages of responses that have nothing to do with the topic I started. Im not desperate just to talk about fish. I very rarely get on other peoples threads and I definitely don't go around derailing peoples threads. It was a simple thread with a simple request but since this is a open forum we don't stick with the topics anymore. With that said im going to leave you guys to talk about whatever you want on this thread cause im done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store