Kelberi peacock bass tank size?

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Possible? Of course, it's possible...

People sent to third-world prisons live out their lives in tiny, filthy, cramped cells...because it's possible. Chickens on factory farms live out their short, miserable lives in boxes...because it's possible. But...it's also cruel and inhumane.

What exactly have these cichlids done that deserves this harsh punishment?

We shouldn't be keeping fish in conditions that are merely "possible" for their survival. The goal should be to create near-ideal conditions. That can't be done in a 200-ish gallon tank for even one 20-inch active fish, let alone three.
Eh. 90% of these fish raised in tanks and have no idea what their natural enviroment would be. Let's be honest. Still best to give them room but no private aquarium will ever mimick the amazon.period

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
They're fish. Of course they don't have ideas. But a typical 220gallon is, what, 72 inches long? I don't think it's reasonable to expect even one single 18 - 20 inch fish to have any kind of acceptable quality of life in a tank less than four times its length. I also question the appeal of watching such a fish in such an environment. Just a personal opinion and observation, YMMV.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Doit take this the wrong way.we all like fish. I catch them eat them and keep them . The ones I have are my pets. Not a TV set.they need care just like any other pet( part of the family) big fish take time and money and space. If you can't get it or have it keep the smaller fish pets please.there I said it. Not trying to get mad or upset with anyone but it's a fact.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
6x2 x2 are good grow out tanks but I feel that p bass do better in groups of 5 ,7 or more, odd #s
My bass sit and stack up in the wood 97% of the time. But when they eat and argue it's all over the tank and Floor (water ) lol.
They hit pellets just like they do live things .( No live fish ) .

Last edited:

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have a 6X2X31" high with 2 kels. They are paired so that makes a big difference. I can't get a heavier tank.
I agree that really a 8X30"W would be much better. It's still a closet. Really optimal for pbass is a pond.

My kels are doing great but still I would not recommend the tank size I have. The smaller the tank the more bumps, scrapes and bruises.
With any tank, the personality of the fish determines how the "community" is successful. Along with plants and substrate (which I firmly believe in).
The smaller the tank the more "weeding out" due to pecking order would be required IMO.

Bottom line, with any pbass the bigger the tank the better IMO. For you and the fish.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hello What is the minimum tank size for Kelberi peacock bass I have heard they are the smallest only maxing out at 18-20'' Is this true? if so would a 180 or a 220 work in the long run for a group of three?
A little late but al the research I’ve done is 18-20” is max with 12-14” being more typical. My LSF has one in a 700g and it’s at least 7 years old and it’s about 14” . I think a 6x2x2 is reasonable.
I don’t go off of max size, I go off of average. Going off of max is like saying humans get to be 7 feet tall

TyKornblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2023
Florida
A little late but al the research I’ve done is 18-20” is max with 12-14” being more typical. My LSF has one in a 700g and it’s at least 7 years old and it’s about 14” . I think a 6x2x2 is reasonable.
I don’t go off of max size, I go off of average. Going off of max is like saying humans get to be 7 feet tall
good point, one of my friends asked me the other day if a kelberi would fit in his 150 gallon deep tank, I told him I didn't think so but just stumbled upon this thread...seems a 48 inches x 24 inches x 31 inch probably wouldn't be optimal lol

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
good point, one of my friends asked me the other day if a kelberi would fit in his 150 gallon deep tank, I told him I didn't think so but just stumbled upon this thread...seems a 48 inches x 24 inches x 31 inch probably wouldn't be optimal lol
I wouldn’t put one in anything less than a 6x2x2 but many will say an 8ft 300 is minimum

Reactions: TyKornblue
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store