Key ingredient to promote color

ridether

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
M.O
I have been told by many experts, the only way to enhance your fish’s color is weekly water changes and different kind of foods. Lately, I have seen many new products promoting (enhance natural fish color) (A source of essential nutrients to promote color). I knew Ultra Color Fx active ingredient is haematococcus pluvials .
What do you think?? Do you use any special food (product) that you feel works ( to promote color?)

Haematococcus algae meal consists of the comminuted and dried cells of the alga Haematococcus (also known as H. lacustris). The major components of haematococcus algae meal are proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids produced by the alga cells. The primary coloring substance in haematococcus algae meal is astaxanthin ,which exists primarily in esterified forms (Ref. 1). One published (Ref. 2) and several unpublished studies included in the petition showed that haematococcus algae meal satisfactorily pigmented the flesh of the fish when it was fed to salmonid fish.
In the Federal Register of April 13, 1995 (60 FR 18736), the agency published a final rule that listed astaxanthin in Sec. 73.35 (21 CFR 73.35) for use in the feed of salmonid fish (hereinafter referred to as the April 1995 final rule). In the preamble to that rule, the agency stated that the new regulation for astaxanthin did not specify the source of astaxanthin or the manufacturing process, because the agency had made its safety determination based on the chemical similarity of synthetic astaxanthin to astaxanthin from natural sources. The agency concluded that any source could be used to produce the color additive as long as the astaxanthin meets the identity, specifications, and stability requirements defined in Sec. 73.35, and it is manufactured in accordance with good manufacturing practice. Furthermore, the agency stated in the astaxanthin rule that the specifications were listed to convey the fact that FDA had evaluated only a particular form of the color additive. The agency also stated that it was concerned that deleterious materials not found in the habitat of salmonids may be included in fish feed from biomass products that contain only a small amount of astaxanthin with the rest of the material being residues from the producing organisms. Thus, the agency said that interested parties should submit information in the form of a new color additive petition if they wish to market a biomass product containing astaxanthin.

Sorry I know too long. :(

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Any carotene or betacarotene for reds.

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
i feed a variety of frozen foods and two differend pellets and some of the spirula flakes. my oscars pick and choose when they want to show there colors . sometimes they are extremely red, and sometimes not..its there mood.. :)

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
ridether said:
I have been told by many experts, the only way to enhance your fish’s color is weekly water changes and different kind of foods. Lately, I have seen many new products promoting (enhance natural fish color) (A source of essential nutrients to promote color). I knew Ultra Color Fx active ingredient is haematococcus pluvials .
What do you think?? Do you use any special food (product) that you feel works ( to promote color?)

Haematococcus algae meal consists of the comminuted and dried cells of the alga Haematococcus (also known as H. lacustris). The major components of haematococcus algae meal are proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids produced by the alga cells. The primary coloring substance in haematococcus algae meal is astaxanthin ,which exists primarily in esterified forms (Ref. 1). One published (Ref. 2) and several unpublished studies included in the petition showed that haematococcus algae meal satisfactorily pigmented the flesh of the fish when it was fed to salmonid fish.
In the Federal Register of April 13, 1995 (60 FR 18736), the agency published a final rule that listed astaxanthin in Sec. 73.35 (21 CFR 73.35) for use in the feed of salmonid fish (hereinafter referred to as the April 1995 final rule). In the preamble to that rule, the agency stated that the new regulation for astaxanthin did not specify the source of astaxanthin or the manufacturing process, because the agency had made its safety determination based on the chemical similarity of synthetic astaxanthin to astaxanthin from natural sources. The agency concluded that any source could be used to produce the color additive as long as the astaxanthin meets the identity, specifications, and stability requirements defined in Sec. 73.35, and it is manufactured in accordance with good manufacturing practice. Furthermore, the agency stated in the astaxanthin rule that the specifications were listed to convey the fact that FDA had evaluated only a particular form of the color additive. The agency also stated that it was concerned that deleterious materials not found in the habitat of salmonids may be included in fish feed from biomass products that contain only a small amount of astaxanthin with the rest of the material being residues from the producing organisms. Thus, the agency said that interested parties should submit information in the form of a new color additive petition if they wish to market a biomass product containing astaxanthin.

Of coarse i do!! I go out and find green grass hoppers. tan or black crickets.. Earth worms. fruit... I also intertwin this by implementing fish food most of the time the kinds you are talking about. But my best experience is after a while of just one kind of food. SWITCH.. my fish colors are drastic when I change the variety. If i am constantly doing this they get ust to it. So I deal with a few godd weeks of a new food and then go back to the original and I love all the colors I get out of them... Natural food sin my personal opinion will give you lovely results..Grab something they'll eat on instinct!! Then watch what happens. Be very careful with spiders though as it has been the sad death of many fish tat got the wrong spider.. Not mine of coarse... YET!!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
ridether said:

Of coarse i do!! I go out and find green grass hoppers. tan or black crickets.. Earth worms. fruit... I also intertwin this by implementing fish food most of the time the kinds you are talking about. But my best experience is after a while of just one kind of food. SWITCH.. my fish colors are drastic when I change the variety. If i am constantly doing this they get ust to it. So I deal with a few godd weeks of a new food and then go back to the original and I love all the colors I get out of them... Natural food sin my personal opinion will give you lovely results..Grab something they'll eat on instinct!! Then watch what happens. Be very careful with spiders though as it has been the sad death of many fish tat got the wrong spider.. Not mine of coarse... YET!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store