azariah.wikidot.com
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20-80
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello MFK!

I have a 90 gallon tank with a leopard ctenopoma and 6 keyhole cichlids. Two of these cichlids seem to be less dominant, and therefore have not grown much since I purchased them in June.

This one in particular however started acting strange recently, and was not very active as all the cichlids usually are. He began to hide away, and did not eat much. Today I found him hiding underneath lots of anubias leaves, looking not so good. So I moved him to a holding tank and noticed this hair/pin like object protruding from his body. His slime coat also appears to have stuff attached to it in several places such as the side of him, and his fins. His fins seem a bit off as well, as there’s black discoloration where there shouldn’t be. Any idea what this is, and what specific medications I ahould apply? Should I keep him I the holding tank or let him back in the 90g?A0878424-9E97-4F65-A5FA-675F50F57259.jpeg

8317912B-E57E-4D72-AFEE-E9BCBDE1D92B.jpeg

6D24ADF1-37D9-4044-9592-1F967B43CE4F.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A0878424-9E97-4F65-A5FA-675F50F57259.jpeg
A shot that is more of a close up would help.
I tried to edit the one you took, but the edit skews detail.
It could be an external parasite such as Lernaea, (below)
IMG_7750.jpegIMG_7384.jpeg
Have you added any new fish or plants lately that a parasite like that could be brought in on?
On a side note, I would increase water changes, and their volume to bring nitrate down, 80ppm nitrate is can cause chronic diseases.
There are also parasitic nematodes that look similar
Infection-of-common-carp-by-Philometroides-cyprini-Mature-female-worm-is-leaving-the_Q320.jpeg
Photo above is mot mine, but googled under Nematode fish Parasites

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
View attachment 1514634
A shot that is more of a close up would help.
I tried to edit the one you took, but the edit skews detail.
It could be an external parasite such as Lernaea, (below)
View attachment 1514635View attachment 1514636
Have you added any new fish of plants lately that a parasite like that could be brought in on?
On a side note, I would increase water changes, and their volume to bring nitrate down, 80ppm nitrate is can cause chronic diseases.
There are also parasitic nematodes that look similar
View attachment 1514637
Photo above is mot mine, but googled under Nematode fish Parasites
Nitrate is pretty high due to the fact that I was away for a whie and could not perform them. They've been lowered since, and I am continuing to perform water changes.

Weird thing is, almost 30 minutes after posting this, the thread thing dissappeared. It doesn't seem to be lernaea or look like any other nematoda parasite. It didn't move on it's own at all, and almost seemed like something had been lodged in his scales. It's gone and I haven't seen it since.

I did some research and saw a bit of resemblance between the black spots on him and that of Black Spot disease, which is apparently caused by parasitic flatworms. Could that be so?

Pics of the disease
Fish black spot disease

Black Spot disease on fish

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Can't seem to find any treatments for these black spots, if that's what they are. The cichlid seems okay, none of the spots have spread at all. Obviously, it's stressed, but it's not too bad. Hopefully a solution arises.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Moved him back into the tank a bit ago, and he seems to be doing alright, possibly improving a bit! Hes definitely much more active, swimming around the tank a lot. Still more isolated than the other cichlids, and still has some of those black spots, but he seems okay and the spots have not spread to the other fishes. Hoping he'll be okay :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store