MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hello MFK!

I've come with rather exciting news - my keyhole cichlids recently laid eggs! I have six keyhole cichlids in a 90-gallon alongside a leopard ctenopoma. I've had all of them since late summer, and recently two of them laid eggs! It's the first time any of them have done so, however, within a day of them being laid, the parents ate all of the eggs. I've heard this si quite normal for keyholes to do on their first or second time mating, and I've heard that they'll try again soon. If that's true, is there anything I should do for them? I was thinking of providing them with a hide, as they were quite aggressive to any of the other fish who came even relatively close to the eggs. (except for the ctenopoma, they only displayed aggression towards him when he got in the direct vicinity of the eggs, and even then it was only warnings it seemed)

Any tips on what I should do, or if it's likely if they'll lay again or not? Below is a picture I captured of the parents and their eggs, a few hours before they ate them all.IMG_6776.JPEG

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
They are comfortable enough to spawn so I think you are doing good. Let them do their thing I’m sure you’ll get eggs real soon

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Maybe try a small clay pot. You are correct though May take them a couple tries. Super cool.

Reactions: MetalRavioli

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello MFK!

I've come with rather exciting news - my keyhole cichlids recently laid eggs! I have six keyhole cichlids in a 90-gallon alongside a leopard ctenopoma. I've had all of them since late summer, and recently two of them laid eggs! It's the first time any of them have done so, however, within a day of them being laid, the parents ate all of the eggs. I've heard this si quite normal for keyholes to do on their first or second time mating, and I've heard that they'll try again soon. If that's true, is there anything I should do for them? I was thinking of providing them with a hide, as they were quite aggressive to any of the other fish who came even relatively close to the eggs. (except for the ctenopoma, they only displayed aggression towards him when he got in the direct vicinity of the eggs, and even then it was only warnings it seemed)

Any tips on what I should do, or if it's likely if they'll lay again or not? Below is a picture I captured of the parents and their eggs, a few hours before they ate them all.View attachment 1512720
Congrats!!!

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Don't mess with anything especially that driftwood the female chose to lay eggs on.
They have been spitting a lot of sand all over that spot in particular, and digging in the sand around it as well. I was thinking of adding a hide or clay pot nearby like fishguy1978 fishguy1978 suggested, but would that mess with anything at all? And thank you by the way!!

Reactions: tlindsey

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
I personally would not add a clay pot or a hide.
Like I stated the female chose the driftwood to lay her eggs on. I would just do wc's and filter maintenance and leave everything else untouched. 🙂
I'll definitely leave everything be then. Thank you! I'll continue to post updates when they occur :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store