knifefish illness

acidburn470

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fort Collins
So my knifefish has been out of control lately. It seems that it has lost it's ability to swim normal. It goes upside down and is constantly going up to the surface and when it does it usually spins around like a top then it just drops and sits on the bottom for a long time. I have no idea whats wrong with it but dont want it to die. I did a 50% waterchange today and replaced my filter medium to. I also am planning another waterchange for Tommorow. Everything is the same on my water tests except the alkalinity which is almost nothing. I just moved down from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs and am wondering if maybe there is something in the water the knife doesnt like, but I assume that would have shown up sooner I have been down here for three weeks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I hate to see my fish acting like this. Thanks.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Do a check for copper, if that is normal it could be a swim bladder infection, especially if it got chilled at all. You could try sulfathiazole or binox.

acidburn470

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fort Collins
If it has a swim bladder infection is there any way to actually cure that or is it more treat with antibiotics and hope for the best.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Just antibiotics, you could try one of those I mentioned or TMP sulfa, or , if it is eating, one of the antibiotic foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store