Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No more golden orfe. The last one developed an S-shape and a crescent shape too. Looks like neurological issue to a naive eye. Too warm? And this didnt happen in the warmest months at all but at 75-78F. Euthanized. 4yo, 18inch.

• Sad
Reactions: dr exum

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting and useful exchange from YT:

Alistair Young Orfe are particularly sensitive to medication malachite in particular will sometimes result in bending spines but long periods of warm temperatures if your going to loose any that’s when it happens,in the uk lake temperatures rarely get above 20 degrees centigrade

Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue Interesting. I didn't know. I did read they are sensitive to some pollution. Thank you. Have you found out about orfe and Malachite Green from firsthand experience or from others? Do you think I jumped the gun on the euthanazia and the fish could have recovered given more time?

Alistair Young Hello,I was told this by a very old chap back in the 80s who kept koi and orfe together and after treatment either one or two would die or within days or be left with bendy spines I two have experienced this some years ago however did not loose any orfe but for months had bendy spines but eventually recovered with only a minor bend and I still have most of those fish now. I use malachite made by NT Labs and it has a warning not to use with orfe Rudd tench or sturgeon so I only do 30 minutes bath if treating koi and in spring I’ll salt the entire pond for parasites as a precaution I hope this helps ,keep the videos going

Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue Very helpful. Thank you greatly! Wish I knew this before. Perhaps I'd not euthanize our last one but waited longer to see if it'd recover.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Recent rescue of 10 koi and 20 goldfish from Sarasota, FL. Have anyone ever seen a mirror or partly-scaled goldfish, in an analogy to a mirror carp / doitsu koi? I don't know if such mutation exists in goldfish.

Not sure if you ever got an answer for this, but the mirror scale mutation in the goldfish world is known as Batik Scale. I have a common that I plucked from a feeder tank that has that mutation.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fishpony Fishpony thank you greatly for this. Would you mind posting some photos of your specimen?

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Fishpony Fishpony thank you greatly for this. Would you mind posting some photos of your specimen?
I swore I had a photo of it while it was still in its juvenile colors, but I can't find it on my phone. I released it a while ago into my pond, so I'll try to capture and photograph it sometime this weekend.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I swore I had a photo of it while it was still in its juvenile colors, but I can't find it on my phone. I released it a while ago into my pond, so I'll try to capture and photograph it sometime this weekend.
Apologize for turning up empty-handed, the little guy has proved far too troublesome to catch. I may be able to get some underwater footage of him in the future.

• Love

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store