koi pond mates

redswordz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2023
i'm planning to add some new fish for my koi pond. are the following fish suitable for a koi pond? all of my koi are big
- bala shark
- clown knifefish
- black ghost knifefish
- ID shark
- Flagtail fish
- Giant gourami
- Oscar
- Rainbow shark
- Freshwater stingray

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think most of the answers you've received are from people concerned about the tropical fish on your list, because they are really not suitable for cohabiting with temperate (cool water) fish like Koi.
Is your koi pond inside, or do you live in an area where your water stays warm enough all year round?
I used to overwinter temperate water cichlids from Uruguay with koi, because they could handle water temps below 60'F, and the cichlids appreciated a cooldown.
And, because my ponds would freeze to the bottom in winter, even Koi could not survive the freezing, even certain water lilies needed to be brought in.
But that is not really doable for tropical species unless your pond is indoors, or in a tropical area.
1685036679245.png1685036831842.png1685036962673.png

redswordz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2023
I think most of the answers you've received are from people concerned about the tropical fish on your list, because they are really not suitable for cohabiting with temperate (cool water) fish like Koi.
Is your koi pond inside, or do you live in an area where your water stays warm enough all year round?
I used to overwinter temperate water cichlids from Uruguay with koi, because they could handle water temps below 60'F, and the cichlids appreciated a cooldown.
And, because my ponds would freeze to the bottom in winter, even Koi could not survive the freezing, even certain water lilies needed to be brought in.
But that is not really doable for tropical species unless your pond is indoors, or in a tropical area.
View attachment 1519423View attachment 1519424View attachment 1519425
my pond is outside and i live in the philippines, a tropical country. the koi are thriving, i have some shaded area of the pond. i kinda want some few predators that will not destroy my koi. most of my koi are big enough to not be bothered by predator fish but i don't want to risk it so i asked first. i still haven't pull the trigger of buying predators. what are some predator fish that will not bother my koi? thanks

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store