Koi question

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
So, my wife shot down the giant pond idea and I ended up going with a 58”x39”x24”. So I’m gonna reconsider my list. But in the meantime I picked up two 3” koi today to temporarily keep the thing cycled while I decide….buuut I’m actually starting to like the koi ( I’ve never kept them). So here’s the question- everything I’m reading is telling me my pond is too small even for a single koi. Do you guys agree with this? If not how many could I have?

IMG_3318.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yes, your pond is too small for koi long term, and that is probably what your research is getting at. But in the short term you could have a nice shoal of small koi in there no problems whatsoever.

However, they are renowned for being messy and their bio load tends to match that. So the "how many" question would much depend on how much maintenance you are willing to do regarding water changes.

You'd have to get a handle on your weekly nitrate creep and take it from there, and that nitrate creep would be ever evolving as they grew.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yes, your pond is too small for koi long term, and that is probably what your research is getting at. But in the short term you could have a nice shoal of small koi in there no problems whatsoever.

However, they are renowned for being messy and their bio load tends to match that. So the "how many" question would much depend on how much maintenance you are willing to do regarding water changes.

You'd have to get a handle on your weekly nitrate creep and take it from there, and that nitrate creep would be ever evolving as they grew.
Thanks! I plan on doing the same maintenance schedule as my others which is an 80-90% WC every Saturday morning. I guess my nitrate tests would indicate when that is no longer sufficient and it’s time to move them. But say I decided to get 3 more around 3”, do you have a rough idea how long it would be before the time came? I probably wouldn’t want to do this unless I’m gonna get at least a year.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept a koi pond only slightly larger than yours (500 gallons) that was able to handle 2 adult koi (@ 12") and a few goldfish.
To keep nutrient levels low, it used a DIY foam fractionation unit (Protein skimmer) and a Porret Foam filter for mechanical filtration(, that was cleaned at least once per week), along with my normal water change routine.
And as usual, I went heavy on plants that consumed the nitrate the fractionation unit failed to remove, by removing nitrate precursors from the water column.
(water lilies, water hyacinth, papyrus)
Before the 500 pond was dug, I experimented with one of those rubbermaid type, and liked them a lot.
I found it easy to do water changes on, by connecting a hose to the threaded drain, opening and directing old water to the garden.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
do you have a rough idea how long it would be before the time came?
This is a how long is a piece of string type question.

The growth rate of the fish is dependant on quality of food and water changes. I think you're clued up on both so you'll probably get good growth.

If you're opting for six, three that you already have, and getting three more, and they're all around 3", I don't see why they can't hit 6-7" in their first year. That would be high end growth though, more realistically you might see 5-6".

Personally half a dozen 6-7" fish in that size pond would pretty much do it for me, I'd be thinking of moving them on at that time. You could start all over again then.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
If the koi dont fit, how bout some shubunkin?
If koi were what I was set on, that’s a good idea. I just grabbed a couple koi to maintain my BB while I decided and I was kinda liking them and considering going with a koi pond. But after sleeping on it, I decided on a creamsicle Midas and an armored cat.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions tho.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Kind of off topic, but a fish that really work in a tub for viewing that I never would have thought of is Peacock Cichlids. Alot like Koi in colors, but much easier on bioload.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store