Koi question

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Fish in aquariums are accustomed to seeing people whenever they are in the room, and often at a distance. Fish in a pond don't see their owners until those persons walk over to the pond and look down into it. From the fish's perspective, the owner is rarely present, and then suddenly appears looming overhead in a very predatory fashion. Time to hit the panic button!

I keep a couple species of cichlids in outdoor stock tanks during the summer, and they literally never become tame. They are as flighty and paranoid at the end of the summer season as when they are first installed in the stock tank in spring. I must approach very slowly and cautiously, staying aware of sun direction and the location of my shadow, and also need to stand still for quite some time if I actually hope to see the fish...and any sudden movement will send them scattering again.

Goldfish, for some reason, tame down and become friendly much quicker; not sure if it's because they are so smart...or so stupid...:)
My pond is in the garage which is pretty dark and uneventful. I am putting a gooseneck lamp over it but it’s not gonna have a super bright bulb. Hopefully that keeps him pretty chill.

IMG_3324.jpeg

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Green terrors I've kept in tubs outside would come to the surface for food and seemed very comfortable staying there for extended periods. Amazing colors and growth in the outdoor tubs.
Colours, growth rate, yep, all fantastic outside for my cichlids as well. Some species obviously hung at the surface a fair bit...but all I would see is a splash from under the duckweed when I approached. Others disappeared when first introduced, and were literally never seen again until months later, when removed before cold weather set in. Fry would be fearless and visible only for the first inch or so of their lives, at which point they became paranoid. Honestly, cichlids in general are so boring in outdoor stock tanks for me that I am moving away from them for that type of set up.

So...if yours are so bold and brassy...does that make them as smart as goldfish...or as dumb? :)

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
This is my view from where I’ll be sitting, so i should be able to see him pretty clear from the top and side and I won’t be directly over him spooking him out

IMG_3325.jpeg

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I’ve never had a Midas before, but based on the pics of your pond it’s very bright and open which could make it nervous. Is it also being bullied by a big pacu?
My pond is pretty dark in a darker room and the the lighting will be subdued.
My pond only receives natural sunlight, not any type of artificial lighting. I generally tend to leave the lights closed to prevent any stress. I will try providing more cover to the pond, maybe that will work. He hasn't found his courage, but he has found his aggression as he doesn't even let the pacu come near its cave.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store