KOIS FOR MY TANK

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
None.

Koi get way too big, and produce way to much waste to stick in a tank..

They are POND fish.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
1 and for maybe until it get about 8''! and you will need a big filter and expect to see cloudy water for most of the time!

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
In general should be in a pond, but for a year or two with extreme filtration, and frequent water changes.... you can make it work. Hence the website we are at MONSTER FISH .... the rule of thumb in ponds is about 150 gallons of water per fish..... or better, like 200 or 300 gallons per fish. That being said a resturaunt we frequent has a 150 gallon tank with about 6 KOI about 16" to 24" and their old KOI's are over 15 years old..... but they do 100% water changes once to twice a week

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
In general should be in a pond, but for a year or two with extreme filtration, and frequent water changes.... you can make it work. Hence the website we are at MONSTER FISH .... the rule of thumb in ponds is about 150 gallons of water per fish..... or better, like 200 or 300 gallons per fish. That being said a resturaunt we frequent has a 150 gallon tank with about 6 KOI about 16" to 24" and their old KOI's are over 15 years old..... but they do 100% water changes once to twice a week
That is borderline cruelty, and terrible advice to give. I agree with mshill90. These fish should be kept in ponds that are thousands of gallons. They get massive and are very active, dirty fish.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
Agreed. But all advice, is opinion, and with cavats. I didn't say keep 100 KOI, in 1 gallon either. And also suggested they get moved into ponds. After doing a lot of SCUBA diving, I would also like to put all the salt water fish back in their natural environment too. Also my opinon.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Agreed. But all advice, is opinion, and with cavats. I didn't say keep 100 KOI, in 1 gallon either. And also suggested they get moved into ponds. After doing a lot of SCUBA diving, I would also like to put all the salt water fish back in their natural environment too. Also my opinon.
You really must not know the growth rate of koi. Koi can grow more than an inch a month- and most of them do. Keeping even a single koi in a tank for 1-2 yrs isn't even possible with his size tank.

Yes, advice is opinion most of the time, but it's advice that should be utilized.

Would you keep a lion in a dog kennel just because he fits in it? No.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store