Komodo Dragon vs Crocodile?

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
I think the op said adults of each species... In which case a 1000kg croc will always kill a 200kg Komodo dragon, every single time. The komodos venom is a moot point as they wouldn't be able to pierce the crocs scale armor skin.. No contest!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
^ I saw this and thought " great, another dumb thread" and didn't post on it, but then everyone started posting

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
Out of random curiosity, I googled "komodo dragon bite force," and got this...

Komodo Dragon's Bite Is "Weaker Than a House Cat's"

Carolyn Barry
for National Geographic News

April 18, 2008
The world's largest living lizard, the fearsome Komodo dragon, has a bite weaker than a house cat's, researchers say.
Though known for killing prey much larger than itself, the Komodo relies on its razor-sharp teeth, strong neck muscles, and "space frame" skull to subdue its prey, according to a new study.

Using computer models, researchers from Australia's University of New South Wales analyzed a Komodo specimen from the Australian Museum in Sydney.
Measuring the forces and composition of the lizard's skull, the researchers found that its jaw is not designed for crushing.
"The bite is really quite incredibly weak for such a big lizard—less than you'd expect from the average house cat," said Stephen Wroe, an author of the study, which was recently published in the Journal of Anatomy.
If a Komodo actually tried to crush prey with its jaws, like crocodiles do, "it would break its own skull," he said.

DariusAmurdarja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Düsseldorf
why would he need to crush its prey? he simply slices through the meat.

Allosaurus also had a patheticly weak bite force....but i'm pretty sure you would not like to get bitten from an Allosaurus...

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
Not sure why you are asking me that. If it couldn't kill prey, it wouldn't be a viable species and it wouldn't exist.

The reason I looked into the bite force of the Komodo dragon was to discern if it could realistically penetrate crocodile skin, and it seems the answer is "no."

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Basically all the species of the varanus family are venomous (Venom, not bacteria or anything like that), there's a study of a monitor specimen which has so much venom in its mouth that could kill an adult elephant.
Not sure where you got that information.. Some varanids are venomous, yes, but not all. To my knowledge, only V. komodoensis and V. varius have been proven venomous, though many other monitors are thought to be and probably are venomous. Certainly not all of them though. And none of them could kill an elephant, that's for sure..

EvilTeeth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
Earth iz di vord.
Just found this :

Man dies, his lizards are hungry!

By Scott Flander

If you live alone, and you drop dead in your apartment one day, you don't want to have six-feet-long, flesh-eating monitor lizards running around the place.

You just don't.

Because they're not going to get fed, and they're going to get hungry, and you're going to be lying there, and like we said, they're flesh-eating and, aw, jeez, you don't want to have them running around loose, OK?

This is apparently what happened to poor Ronald Huff, of Newark, Del., who kept seven Nile monitor lizards as pets, and well, you can stop reading here if you want.

Huff hadn't been seen since Sunday, and when police went to his studio apartment yesterday morning to check on him, at the request of his family, they found him on the floor, dead, and some of his flesh-eating pet lizards were are you sure you want to keep reading?

Well, OK, they were "feeding" on his body.

"They did a considerable amount of damage to this gentleman's face," said John E. Caldwell, executive director of the Delaware SPCA.

Huff was 42, and police say they don't know how or why he died, though the state medical examiner's office is doing an autopsy. There were no signs of foul play, said Newcastle County Police spokesman Trinidad Navarro.

Police won't speculate on whether the lizards actually attacked and killed their master.

But Caldwell doubts it.

"I think this gentleman died of natural causes," he said. "I don''t think the lizards killed him. Without being fed for two to three days, they took advantage of the situation due to hunger."

Had Huff been alive, he would have been able to fend off a monitor lizard, said Caldwell.

Huff's lizards, which he kept despite a county ban on them, ranged in length from 2 feet to about 6 feet, and from 2 pounds to 25 pounds, Caldwell said.

Two of the lizards were in handmade, wooden, crate-like cages, though five were running loose in the apartment, said animal-control officer John Saville.

Caldwell said the lizards seemed to have free run of the apartment. Holes were cut in doorways for them to go through.

The SPCA also found several large plastic containers of hissing Madagascar roaches, a common pet-food for lizards, said Caldwell. They also found a cat, which was in good shape.

The lizards themselves seemed to be no worse for the wear, said Caldwell.

"They looked good," he said. "They were healthy and robust."

The SPCA will try to get the cat adopted, and place the lizards with a zoo, or with a professional who takes lizards around to schools to teach students about reptiles.

The roaches, said Caldwell, "were disposed of."
------------------------------
It's from the animal planet show "fatal attractions"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store