Kribensis first time

Meghanbridget33

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2016
New Hampshire
I just got these Kribensis cichlids, the female was in spawn colors and it was obvious who the male was since he had the other four pinned against the wall.

I was worried that they were fighting, but then I noticed that she was laying eggs, it was awesome!!

She won't let him go near them. The eggs are white, he seems to be watching the kids and his girl. Nothing else is in the tank, but a little pleco, he can't fit in the hole where they are, so should I be worried about any of this?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I just got these Kribensis cichlids, the female was in spawn colors and it was obvious who the male was since he had the other four pinned against the wall.

I was worried that they were fighting, but then I noticed that she was laying eggs, it was awesome!!

She won't let him go near them. The eggs are white, he seems to be watching the kids and his girl. Nothing else is in the tank, but a little pleco, he can't fit in the hole where they are, so should I be worried about any of this?
ya, white means unfertilized, opaque/translucent means fertilized. If you want to breed them without putting them together, use plastic egg crate for a divider, and a bit of water flow from the male's side of the tank to assist the spermatophore in reaching the eggs, however, in a species-tank, Kribensis are typically a very close-bonding pair that will pair for life and show minimal aggression to each other, so you can certainly keep the divder out if you choose, as long as everything seems ok. The pleco might eat eggs, but I doubt they will let him anywhere near the nest.

Meghanbridget33

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2016
New Hampshire
You are right about that, I gave them this slate pyramid shaped cave system, that is three tubes that forms a pyramid. I read that they like clean rocks, she loves it. The eggs were in the top tube. Then I found a half eaten pleco in the bottom today, explains alot because shes back too hanging there. My male is bright and red bellied, and chases her around again.

Aggression is pretty minimal, besides chasing, and they do this kissy thing.

I do plan to keep them by themselves, I bought them a 15 gal just for them and future babies. Pleco was for cleaning, but I guess it is my job again.

I want my daughter to see the eggs hatch, and them raise their babies. She was so sad when the eggs were eaten. I explained that it usually happens that way because it is their first time.

Im totally new too cichlids besides angelfish, if these work out. I want to breed some different species of them.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
You are right about that, I gave them this slate pyramid shaped cave system, that is three tubes that forms a pyramid. I read that they like clean rocks, she loves it. The eggs were in the top tube. Then I found a half eaten pleco in the bottom today, explains alot because shes back too hanging there. My male is bright and red bellied, and chases her around again.

I do plan to keep them by themselves, I bought them a 15 gal just for them and future babies. Pleco was for cleaning, but I guess it is my job again.

I want my daughter to see the eggs hatch, and them raise their babies. She was so sad when the eggs were eaten. I explained that it usually happens that way because it is their first time.

Im totally new too cichlids besides angelfish, if these work out. I want to breed some different species of them.
you'd be better off waiting until the eggs actually hatch to say anything at all to her about it LOL Wait until you see babies 1st that way she doesn't get upset if they get eaten again .

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Convicts and Jewels are very very easy to breed , all u gotta do is get a pair. For basics, they are great starter species to study and learn about mating habits and fry-rearing before you decide to try a more challenging species. These guys remain small, generally under 5-6" and can be housed similarly to the Kribensis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store